How are you better than me?

Brian Stillman

“You think we think we’re better than you – we don’t. We know it.”

With this simple quote, the ongoing battle between the greek system and the residence halls took on a whole new role. While most people, including me, would just as soon see this issue laid to rest, young Mr. Sullivan took it upon himself to add fuel to the fire.

Before you throw this column down as another greek-bashing column, give me just a second to explain myself. This is not meant to come off sounding like a slam to the entire greek community. It is directed to Mr. Sullivan and the select few like him that truly feel that they are better than the rest of us just because they live in a frat house. Although I am going to use some of the stereotypes associated with the greek system, it is not meant to point fingers. I will try to use them to prove my point.

First of all, I would just like to say that I know that the words of Mr. Sullivan do not fairly represent the vast majority of the greek community. I have many friends who live in frats or sororities and have noticed no real difference in the quality of people that live there in comparison to my dorm. It is just a place to live – no more, no less.

So why, Mr. Sullivan, are you better than me?

Is it because you have great pride in your house and everything it instills in you as you stated in your letter? While I know many greeks do take great pride in their houses, I don’t think that it makes you better than me. I have great pride in many of the things that my friends and I accomplish around campus, but I don’t feel the need to brag about it in the campus paper.

Is it because you wear a T-shirt that has your three cool- looking greek letters on the front? I understand that you want everyone to know where you are from and who you are associated with. But if I wear a shirt that has my dorm floor’s design on it I would guess that you are probably going to make fun of me. The old saying goes, “the clothes don’t make the man,” and your T-shirt doesn’t make you better than me.

Is it because you and your “brothers” can throw big parties in your front yard every weekend and out drink anyone on the campus? This may be the one thing that I can see as an advantage over the dorms. We can’t throw giant parties with hundreds of people because we have a few rules that we have to follow. But as far as being able to out drink everybody in the world, I know a few of my buddies who would be able to give you a major run for your money.

Is it because you can have a woman shack up with you after you throw one of these big parties just because you are a frat guy? Believe it or not, there are a few “playas” around campus who don’t need their greek affiliation to pick up women.

In fact, I think this speaks better of us because the woman actually wants to be with us for who we are, not because we live in the coolest house.

I have been contemplating this question since I picked up the paper early Monday morning. I have yet to come up with a real good reason. If you and your friends truly believe that you are better than us, you come off as extremely arrogant, and I would bet you offended many people in your own greek community.

So, Mr. Sullivan, you are not better than me so please do not try to convince yourself that you are.