Iowa State announces proposed expansion to Hilton Coliseum

Emily Barske/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State students set up tents outside Hilton Coliseum for the Iowa State men’s basketball game against Kansas.

Trevor Holbrook

The almost 50-year-old Hilton Coliseum, which has hosted thousands of events and Iowa State sporting events, is receiving an upgrade, pending authorization from the Board of Regents.

Hilton Coliseum will add expanded concessions, newer mechanical systems and upgraded fan accessibility, according to a release

“This is another step forward in our efforts to enhance the game day environment for Cyclone fans attending athletic events,” said Athletic Director Jamie Pollard in the release. “Hilton Coliseum also holds a very prominent place in the entrance to our campus.

“Similar to how the south end zone renovation changed the entrance to campus off Highway 30, the enhanced exterior lighting included in these plans will make the entrance to Iowa State University even more dramatic.”

The project will be fully funded by the athletic department and is estimated to cost $25 million.

“As a key athletics venue and important campus building – for events like commencement and job fairs – keeping Hilton’s infrastructure and accessibility up to date is a must-do for our department and the university,” Pollard said in the release.