IRHA bill will keep residents informed

Amber Billings

The Inter-Residence Hall Association approved a bill that would send e-mails to residence hall students periodically to update them on important information.

The bill passed 23-1-0 Thursday night and will mirror the e-mails that are already in effect at the Towers Residence Halls, said Jonathon Weaver, Towers Residence Association president.

“It’ll take the registrar’s office three weeks to compile the list,” he said. “Every single [residence hall student] has the option of removing themselves from the list.”

IRHA President Paul Duncan said he believes the e-mails will inform students more quickly and efficiently about what is going on in the residence halls.

“I think this is a positive thing; it’ll mainly be used as a tool to get out information,” he said.

Some parliament members were uneasy about having additional mass e-mails. Richardson Court Association At-Large Chris Knight said he was opposed to letting residence hall students be informed via e-mail. “I don’t really like mass e-mails; I find it a major pain,” he said. “I think we’d be better off making flyers and posters; that’s what [they’re] for.”

Knight also co-authored a bill proposing a point system for the storage policy, and if it passes, it will be presented to the Department of Residence. If approved there, the point system would be written in next year’s Terms and Conditions. This week, parliament members will decide whether to send the policy to the department “The point system seems like the fairest way to go with the storage policy,” Knight said. “The hall directors would decide the points.”

Once the number of points is decided, the resident assistants would assign points to items brought by the students.

Weaver opposed the point system because of its lack of clarity and also said it would give people too much authority.

“I believe this gives too much power to hall directors,” he said.