Bush stresses health care, education

Erin Holtman

With the national presidential election looming on the horizon, Republican candidate George W. Bush has hit the campaign trail to familiarize voters with his stances on several major issues. Some ISU students who are active in political organizations across campus said the upcoming debates pitting Bush against Democratic candidate Al Gore will focus on a variety of issues. “There is not one central issue; it depends on the voter as to what they see the issues as,” said Cynthia Schoenfeld, president of the College Republicans. “If I had to pick one issue it would be the Supreme Court.” The Supreme Court will have several judges retiring in the upcoming years, and the president will have the responsibility of choosing new members for the court. This can be an important issue to voters, said Schoenfield, senior in political science, because justices are appointed for life terms. This can sway decisions for current cases. According to the official George W. Bush Web site, Bush’s education plan includes closing the achievement gap in America by setting higher standards for students and institutions. He plans to free states from federal regulations, but the schools will be held responsible for their progress and would be measured annually. Bush plans to make health care affordable for low-income families. He said he will provide a $2,000 refundable-health credit so low-income families can find their own insurance. “Health care affects students because they are paying for it if they work,” said Robert Lowry, associate professor of political science. “Students need to realize that in 10 or 15 years their parents will be getting into the age bracket where they will need health care.” Bush plans to make health care more affordable for small-business personnel, who employ 60 percent of uninsured citizens. He also will remove federal regulations that prevent states from creating programs dealing with the uninsured. Bush has no plans to change Social Security benefits for retirees or people about to retire. He plans to make Social Security voluntary, a policy that will allow people to put their Social Security money toward a personal account. Bush’s answer for drug prevention is a balanced policy of education, treatment and law enforcement, but some students said drug prevention might not come up prior to the election. “Drugs will probably not be an issue until someone is elected,” said Chris Mackenzie, sophomore in political science. Bush supports stronger enforcement of current gun laws, as well as instant background checks at gun shows. The GOP candidate favors the current ban on automatic weapons, but he supports law-abiding citizens’ rights to own a gun. Bush wants to raise of the legal handgun age from 18 to 21, and he opposes government-mandated registration of all handgun owners for citizens with no criminal record. One of Iowa’s most pressing issues is use and conservation of farmland. Bush supports crop-insurance reform, tax-deferred accounts for farmers and opening farmers to the worldwide market. For more information about the Republican presidential candidate, visit the Bush Web site.