Scholars to help fellow students

Erin Holtman

ISU students interested in helping their classmates succeed academically will soon have a new way to help their peers. The Academic Success Center and Student Activities Center have joined forces to create Cyclone Scholars, a group of undergraduate student leaders who will facilitate academic workshops for student groups. Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the Dean of Students Office, said the organization will provide hands-on experience. “We hope to have a group of students who will go out and teach other students how to get good grades while at ISU,” she said. Kari Hensen, program assistant for the Dean of Students Office, said the scholars will also help show students how to develop a balance between academics and other activities. “We want this group to promote scholarship but also assist students in developing a balance between school and other activities to help them reach their personal and professional goals,” said Hensen, undeclared graduate student. Bestler-Wilcox said the students will have full control in designing their programs. “We hope to have a group of about 20 students, and it’s important to give them the power to develop the programs they’re going to present,” she said. Hensen said participating in this program will not be a large time commitment for students. “We’re looking at only one to two hours a week of time put in,” she said. Bestler-Wilcox said interested students should be upperclassmen, have a 3.0 GPA and have held some leadership role. Hensen said becoming a scholar is a great chance for students to impact other students. “This is a very unique opportunity for students to help other students, meet new people and help them develop skills and gain experience in planning programs,” she said.