A week for the outcasts

Erin Holtman

The wildly popular Harry Potter fiction series will take center stage during Banned Books Week at Iowa State. Pat Miller, lectures coordinator, said there are several reasons for the focus on Harry Potter books during the week. “The Harry Potter series is one that was most asked to be withdrawn from the [library] shelves,” she said. “One of the librarians at ISU had also seen an article by another librarian saying people had questions about those books for their children, and we thought that would be an important factor to discuss. Those books also touch many people and are a publishing phenomenon.” Tanya Zanish-Belcher, assistant professor at Parks Library, said people may be surprised to hear some of the books that have faced censorship. “The American Library Association provides a list of banned books, and I think anyone would be astonished and dumbfounded by the number and types of books banned and challenged,” she said. The list includes the Bible, the Koran, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” “The Bell Jar” and “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.” Zanish-Belcher said she thinks it is very important to recognize and celebrate Banned Books Week. “I think it is extremely important for us to remember,” she said. “Our freedom of speech and free thought is integral to our growth as individuals and as a nation. Those rights, unfortunately, are too often challenged, and this week is a reminder of our responsibilities as citizens to fight against those restrictions.” According to the American Library Association Web site, libraries receive many requests each year to remove books from its shelves “to protect children from inappropriate sexual content or offensive language.” Miller said Banned Books Week, which has been observed annually since 1981, also will feature readings from books that have been challenged. These readings will take place from noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. “We have teamed up with the University Book Store and the Ames Public Library to sponsor a Banned Books Readathon,” she said. “Students, faculty and staff will read from books that have faced censorship.” Nancy Bevin, coordinator for the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, will be participating in the readathon. “I chose a book from the list the library provided of books that have been challenged,” she said. “I read `To Kill a Mockingbird’ and thought it was a fine book. My daughter read it and liked it as well. I think it has a humane and life-affirming message, and it’s sad when people want to try to keep these books away from us. I think it is important that we observe Banned Books Week to keep us aware of how precious our freedom is to us.” The Harry Potter books will be the topic of a discussion at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. Kimbra Wilder Gish, Tennessee librarian and critic of the series, will give a presentation of her article, “Hunting Down Harry Potter: An Exploration of Religious Concerns about Children’s Literature.” A roundtable discussion will follow, and Jane Cox, associate professor of music and director of ISU Theater, will read from the Harry Potter series. Readers and their books for Banned Books Week include: Richard Seagrave, interm president, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Olivia Madison, Library Services, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Gina Millsap, Ames Public Library, Where the Sidewalk Ends

Nathan Ashmore, ISU/ACLU Chapter, Howl

Nancy Bevin, Women’s Center, To Kill A Mockingbird

Dianne Bystrom, Catt Center for Women and Politics, The Handmaid’s Tale

Ben Golding, Government of the Student Body, (title to be announced)

Jeremy Hayes, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgenered Ally Alliance, Daddy’s Roommate

Thomas Hill, student affairs, Black Boy

Jeffery Johnson, ISU Alumni Association, Nappy Hair

Barbara Mack, journalism and mass communication, Lysistrata

Debra Marquart, English, Tropic of Cancer

Herman Quirmbach, economics, ISU and the Censorship of Oleomargarine.