Animal science prof named fellow

Erin Holtman

An ISU professor’s career contributions were recognized on July 24 when he received the Fellow of the American Dairy Science Association award. Jerry Young, professor of animal science, received the appointment during the joint meeting of the American Dairy Science Association (ADSA) and the American Society of Animal Science in Baltimore, Md. He said membership is based on service and research. “Basically, becoming a fellow is based on overall contributions to the education process and to the ADSA. They select five or six people every year to become fellows,” he said. Young, who officially retires from Iowa State today, said the appointment was unexpected. “I thought maybe sometime down the road I might be nominated, but I was surprised to be elected the first time. It was especially nice to be named a fellow at the time of retirement,” he said. “There is definitely an element of gratitude for being nominated.” Don Beitz, distinguished professor of animal science, nominated Young for the appointment. “I nominated Jerry because of his outstanding success as a dairy cattle nutrition researcher and his excellence in mentoring grad students,” he said. “Dr. Young has very quietly and humbly risen to the top of his discipline.” Young also developed an animal nutrition course which he taught every year, Beitz said, adding that it is a great honor to receive the Fellow award. “The membership is limited and is from all facets of dairy, from research to teaching,” he said. “It’s really quite competitive.” Young said a lot of credit for his success at Iowa State should go to his graduate students. “Many of [the graduate students] have been very successful and are making good contributions to the education world,” Young said. “That’s been gratifying to see, and it’s been a privilege to work with them.” During his 35 years at Iowa State, Young said he has made many great memories, especially during his work with fellow faculty members Beitz, Norman Jacobson, distinguished professor emeritus of animal science, and A.D. McGilliard, a former faculty member. “That was a great group and most of my favorite memories revolve around them,” he said. Beitz said he admires Young for his dedication to graduate students. “Jerry’s greatest source of pride is in his students who’ve studied under him during his years here, not from his research or the awards he’s received,” he said. Young said he has big plans for retirement in Tennessee. “I’d like to travel with my wife, develop some new hobbies and play golf more than once every three years,” he said.