A good learning tool

Shuva Rahim

If you haven’t already, get a Tuesday copy of the lowa State Daily and read Evan Mortenson’s letter to the editor on page six. Read the first seven paragraphs. The rest is meaningless.

As a whole, Mortenson’s criticisms of the Daily about its Nov. 6 front page are true. There was a story without news value, an incomplete story and yes, it was a slow news day.

I’ve read many letters like Mortenson’s, slamming the newspaper for its errors. And yes, the lowa State Daily has made errors in stories and headlines.

But to Evan Mortenson, I say this: tell me what a fast news day at Iowa State University is. After all, Ames isn’t New York City, and the lowa State Daily isn’t The New York Times.

Tell me, Evan Mortenson, do you have the drive, the ambition, the time, the energy and the stress level to handle a full class load and work up to 40 hours a week at a student newspaper as do a handful of Daily employees?

Tell me, can you interview, write, copy edit and hunt down sources and chase stories for the next day’s edition?

Tell me you can seriously commit to this five days a week for an entire school year. Tell me you can do it all under the pressure of a deadline. If you think you can, I suggest you join the Daily staff since you sounded so adamant in your criticisms.

The Nov. 6 front page had errors, but they weren’t as bad as they could’ve been. No matter how good they are, editors and writers at all newspapers, not just at the Daily, make mistakes.

But that doesn’t mean they don’t know any better. For many, the student newspaper is a learning tool, a stepping stone toward professional publications.

Mistakes shouldn’t be overlooked, but they are part of human nature. After all, it is how everyone learns, improves and grows from the experience, both professionally and personally.

Shuva Rahim

Senior

Journalism and mass communication