Family tradition continues

Bill Kopatich

Andy Stensrud and J.J. Moses share much more in common than just being freshmen roommates on the Iowa State football team.

Each shares a legacy of the ISU football team through their fathers.

Andy’s father, Mike, was an All-American defensive tackle at ISU who finished his college career in 1978.

J.J.’s father, Jerry, was from Waterloo East High School and was one of the most sought-after high school football players in the 1970s.

Jerry was severely injured early in his ISU career, but still lettered in 1972 and 1973.

Mike Stensrud’s 1977 Peach Bowl jersey hangs in the ISU Sports Hall of Fame in the Jacobson Athletic Building.

“It used to be sitting at my house, now it’s down here,” Andy Stensrud said. “It was up on a shelf with the other football awards. It’s kind of neat that it’s down here now.”

Stensrud said his father never pressured him to become an athlete.

“My dad always told me if I ever didn’t want to play sports, it wouldn’t bother him at all,” Stensrud said. “He’d be behind me whatever I did.

“As far as going to Iowa State, that was totally up to me,” Stensrud said.

“He wanted me to look at every college and see which one was right for me.”

Stensrud and Moses are playing more as true freshmen than many thought they would going into the season.

Stensrud has caught two passes for 34 yards in the first two games, serving as Damian Gibson’s backup at tight end.

J.J. Moses got into the Wyoming game on Saturday at tailback and rushed twice for a total of one yard.

Moses was originally scheduled to be red-shirted this season.

He responded with an emphatic “yes” when asked Tuesday if he wanted to play this season.

“I prayed a lot and God answered my prayers,” Moses said. “I came down for the summer and worked out with the team, and things like that. It’s a miracle. I’m just thankful to be part of this team for the season,” he said.

Stensrud was originally recruited to play basketball for ISU.

He was named first-team all- state in basketball by the Iowa Newspaper Association during his senior season at Lake Mills.

Stensrud said he still plans to play for the ISU basketball team this season.

“I’m going to go out this year, definitely,” Stensrud said. “Hopefully, I can get some playing time. If not, I’ll do whatever I can to help the basketball team.”

Stensrud said he may eventually have to choose between playing football and basketball, but it is a choice he does not want to make at the moment.

“A lot of people are saying I’ll have to make a choice down the road (between the two sports),” Stensrud said. “I don’t know right now.”

Moses said he and Stensrud get along well as both roommates and teammates.

“Andy is a good person to know,” Moses said. “He’s the type of player where he’ll do anything to help you out on the football field. Off the field, he’s just a nice guy. You would never expect a big guy like that being really nice.”

Moses did say he only has one problem with his 6-feet, 9-inch, 260-pound roommate.

“Andy is a good, clean person. The only thing I’ve got problems with him is eating all the food up sometimes,” Moses said.