Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones in second after day one

Hunter+Johnson+hits+a+practice+shot.+

Luke Lu/Iowa State Athletics

Hunter Johnson hits a practice shot.

The Iowa State’s men’s golf team sits tied for second place after the first day of the Marquette Intercollegiate. Round two was put on hold due to darkness and will continue Monday.

Leading the way for the Cyclones is sophomore Luke Gutschewski, who shot a two-round score of 125 (-4) so far, which currently has him at first overall. Redshirt senior Nate Vance played a key role in Iowa State’s success Sunday, shooting a two-round score of 133 (+1) which has him placed at a tie for eighth overall. Vance still has two holes left in round two.

While the Cyclones have found success so far in this tournament, they will have to keep their foot on the gas as they look to keep themselves towards the top of the leaderboard.

Gutschewski atop the leaderboard

Gutschewski continues his hot start to his sophomore season with a solid outing after the first 36 holes. He shot for par or better on all holes in the first round, finishing with a score of 65 (-5).

So far, in round two, his success has continued except for one double bogey on the sixth hole. He still has three holes left in round two.

Pany continues success

Junior Lukas Pany had a resurgence to his season when he joined the lineup last weekend at the Zach Johnson Invitational, finishing in a tie for fifth place overall and shooting a career-best in back-to-back rounds.

In the first 36 holes of the Marquette Intercollegiate, Pany struggled a bit in the first 18 but ultimately ended up shooting for par. He took a slight dip in the second round but ultimately would sit at a tie for 18th overall with a score of 139 (+1) with one hole remaining in the second round.

Down day for freshman

Freshman starters Kyo Morishita and Paul Beauvy have had their fair share of ups and downs but have proven themselves enough to continue to stay in the starting lineup. Both Morishita and Beauvy had a tough start to this tournament.

Morishita finished round two and sits at a tie for 57th overall with a two-round score of 148 (+8). He shot a back-to-back double bogey in the second round and another one later in the second round. Beauvy finished the second round at a tie for 64th overall with a score of 149 (+9).

The Cyclones will tee off the next nine holes Monday morning, which will wrap up the Marquette Intercollegiate.