Three Big Takeaways: No. 3 Iowa State wins tiebreaker over Pitt

Lee Chinyama

Sam Schuyler at the ISU vs. OSU wrestling meet on Jan. 29.

Anthony Hanson, Sports Reporter

Iowa State wrestling’s dual win streak was threatened again Saturday night, this time at No. 18 Pittsburgh. 

No. 3 Iowa State was tested in the first half of its lineup for the second consecutive night. The Cyclones fell behind 9-0 to ACC-leading Pittsburgh but rallied in the later weights to secure a seventh consecutive dual victory. 

On Friday night, Iowa State fell behind 10-0 to West Virginia. In that Big 12 matchup, Iowa State won six of the final seven matches. 

This time, the Cyclones won five of the last seven matchups. All matches were decided by decision, leaving the score 15-15 with Iowa State winning by tiebreaker criteria. No. 10 Sam Schuyler delivered the final win, tying the team score and earning Iowa State the win. 

Coleman ties it up

Through seven matches, Pittsburgh held the lead by three team points. The Panthers had a key opportunity to extend their lead, sending the most recent NCAA and ACC Wrestler of the Week No. 18 Reece Heller to the mat. 

Enter Marcus Coleman.

Heller helped Pittsburgh gain an upset win over No. 7 Virginia Tech on Jan. 27. He pinned No. 7 ranked Hunter Bolen in the contest and earned national and ACC recognition in the process. 

The No. 4 ranked Coleman came out swinging for Iowa State, earning two takedowns and a near fall in the first period. He held on to win the match and create separation from his opponent, finishing ahead of Heller 10-5. Coleman earned the most defining victory of the night, keeping the Cyclones within striking distance of the Panthers. 

No other match was decided by more than four points and with the tiebreaker criteria going to individual points, it was Coleman’s statement win that allowed Iowa State to keep its dual win streak alive. 

In addition to winning the dual’s defining match, Coleman earned his 90th career win on Saturday at Pittsburgh. Coleman is now 15-1 on the season, with his only loss coming to Trey Munoz of Oregon State on December 19.

Falling behind early

For the second consecutive time, Iowa State fell behind in the start of a dual. 

With Iowa State having four top-10 wrestlers in the final five weight classes, the Iowa State lineup is weaker at the first five weights. 

But Saturday’s dual started at 125-pounds, and Iowa State showed fight, keeping each of the first three duals within two points. 

Injuries to Kysen Terukina and Cory Cabanban have left a question mark for Iowa State at 125 pounds. But Caleb Fuessley forced a sudden victory against his opponent Colton Camacho. Camacho came out on top 3-1, giving Pittsburgh the first points of the dual. 

No. 7 Micky Phillippi faced Iowa State’s Zach Redding at 133 pounds. Redding fell on riding time 5-4, again limiting a chance for a bonus point win for Pittsburgh. 

No. 3 Cole Matthews faced Iowa State freshman No. 24 Casey Swiderski at 141 pounds. Again, a Cyclone lost by decision, with Matthews finishing on top 5-4. 

The Cyclones came up empty-handed in the first three matches but limited the Pittsburgh wins to narrow decisions put Iowa State in a position to win after the tides turned in the dual. 

Schuyler seals it again 

Iowa State’s last dual in Hilton Coliseum came down to the final match. Iowa State was leading 14-11 over Oklahoma State on Jan. 29 when No. 10 Sam Schuyler clinched the dual with a win at 285 pounds. 

Saturday night, the dual was again in the hands of the Iowa State senior. This time, Schuyler was the underdog, facing No. 5 ranked Dayton Pitzer with his team down 15-12. His team needed a bonus point win to take the dual win outright or a win by decision to force a tie.

Schuyler answered the call. He earned two takedowns over Pitzer and secured the win by decision 4-3. 

Schuyler improved to 12-2 on the year and helped his team seal a marquee win for a second time this season.