Cyclones prepare to travel to Arizona for three game series

Jacob Rice / Iowa State Daily

Skyler Ramos is announced as a starter before a double header against Kansas on May 7, 2022.

The Cyclones get ready to head to Tempe, Arizona, where they will face the Arizona State Sun Devils in a three-game series starting Friday.

The Cyclones will look to improve their 6-4 record as they prepare to face the Sun Devils team, which is currently 8-2 overall, but have not yet made the top 25.

Head coach Jamie Pinkerton praised senior Karlie Charles and his pitching staff for being able to lock down for the team to walk away from this past weekend with a 4-1 record.

“Definitely the pitching staff did a great job this weekend and Karlie Charles being able to win the outstanding pitcher award in the overall tournament was great as she was able to have great outings for us,” Pinkerton said.

Charles was able to acquire two saves and a win over UIC as she was able to put on her best show for the Cyclones to help them get three out of the four wins on the weekend.

Pinkerton also praised his freshman for showing up this past weekend to help them improve their record over some tough competition.

“It was great for them to play well,” Pinkerton said. “Jaiden Ralston and Tatum Johnson gave us good innings. While Ashley Minor and Tiana Poole had a good tournament as well, so whenever they can blend into the lineup and help with production, that’s a big plus.”

Freshman Ashley Minor was able to produce four hits and bring in four runs over the course of the weekend. Freshman Tiana Poole produced six hits and brought in four runs over the course of the weekend as well.

Freshmen Jaiden Ralston and Tatum Johnson were also able to play well as they were able to hold it down for the Cyclones in the majority of the games to show they can compete against the best of the best.

The Cyclones first matchup against the Sun Devils will start at 7 p.m. Friday. Then, Iowa State will take on Arizona State in a double-header beginning at 3 p.m. Saturday.