Iowa State finishes middle of the pack at track and field Big 12 Championships

Jacob Rice/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State senior Cailie Logue talking with coach Amy Rudolph during the 2022 Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championships on Feb. 25, 2022, at Lied Recreation Center. Logue finished first in the women’s 5000m and second in both the 3000m and mile runs.

Owen Slinde, Sports Reporter

The Big 12 Championships wrapped up today in Lubbock, Texas, and the Cyclones matched up fairly well against their competitors, landing in fifth place on both the women’s and men’s sides.

Friday

On day one, the Cyclones took home two titles and reset two school records as well. Sophomore Cam Jones downed his own school record while also bringing home the first weight throw Big 12 title in school history. 

His mark of 23.27 meters was enough to place first and that distance sits at number two nationally. Jones also threw over 70 feet in five of six rounds.

Sydney Willits got the second title of the day for the Cyclones, her’s in the long jump. This is the first time since 2018 a Cyclone has won it and she did it with a distance of 6.33 meters. That was on her second jump and remained in the lead the rest of the way. She now sits at fourth all-time in ISU history and is tied for 18th in the nation.

Cailie Logue earned the silver medal while Dana Feyen took fifth in the 5,000-meter run to bring in 12 team points. On the men’s side, Gable Sieperda, Kelvin Bungei and Chad Johnson medaled to secure points. 

For the Cyclones, Kiersten Fisher and Kailynn Gubbels participated in the pentathlon, placing 10th and 12th, respectively. Fisher scored 3,560 points, a new personal record by more than 200, which is also the eighth-highest total ISU history.

The men finished day one in second place in the DMR with a time of 9:35.49, and the women came in third with an overall time of 11:26.72. The women’s finish is the ninth-fastest in school history.

After day one, Iowa State sat in fourth place for women with 30 points and fifth place for men with 24 points. 

Saturday

On the final day, the Cyclones got three runner-up places and also broke a relay school record. 

Nehemia Too got runner-up in the 1,000-meter with a time of 2:20.81. His time moves him up three spots in program history to number two. He was .52 seconds off the Big 12 winner from Oklahoma State, which was also a facility record. Freshman Emanuel Galdino placed fourth and Jason Gómez placed eighth. 

Sebastian Gentil got another runner-up in the 800-meter, just .33 seconds off first, for his second Big 12 silver medal. Peter Smith notched seventh place for the Cyclones.

Cailie Logue was the third silver medalist for the Cyclones, this time in the 3,000 meter. She was just .39 seconds from first. The time 9:21.60 was it for the second silver for her for the Big 12 Championships.

For the second time this season, the women’s 4×400 group broke the school record. This time was 3:36.80 for the Cyclones. 

For the men’s mile, both of the runners the Cyclones raced medaled. Too finished in fourth with a time of 4:00.58 and Smith finished at 4:03.72 for seventh.

For the second day in a row, Rachel Joseph submitted a 400-meter time under 53 seconds, just .01 seconds slower than her previous day’s school record. Jack Vetsch and Thai Thompson finished the heptathlon in the top six. 

The men and women both finished the Big 12 Championships in fifth place. The men totaled 79 points and the women totaled 59 points. 

The NCAA Indoor Championships will take place on March 10 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.