Three Big Takeaways: Three Cyclones finish NCAA Indoor Championships as All-Americans

Zach Netteland/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State junior Jason Gomez competes in the 800m run at the ISU Holiday Invitational on Dec. 11, 2021.

Cayden Storm, Sports Reporter

The Cyclones’ indoor track and field season concluded this weekend with three competitors participating in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships.  

Sophomore Cam Jones competed in the weight throw, while Seniors Jason Gomez and Cebastian Gentil competed in the 800-meter race.  

Cam Jones earns All-American nod 

Jones qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships in the weight throw after his performance as the No.4 seed at the Big 12 Championships, where he had a PR (personal record) throw of 76-4 1/2.  

On Friday night, Jones made his first-ever appearance at the NCAA Indoor Championships, finishing in 12th place with a throw of 70-6 1/4.  

Although Jones was not able to match his performance at the Big 12 Championships, he still earned Second Team All-America honors, becoming only the third All-American weight thrower in Iowa State history.  

At the rate Jones has improved, there’s a good chance he could secure more accolades over the next few years.  

Two Cyclones race to All-America honors

Gomez and Gentil were both qualifiers in 800 meters. They both qualified at the Tyson Invitational Feb. 11, making Iowa State one of only two teams to have multiple qualifiers in this event.  

Entering the NCAA Indoor Championships, Gomez secured the No. 4 seed with a qualifying time of 1:46.53, while Gentil secured the No. 8 seed with his time of 1:46.75. Those times were good enough for second and third all-time in Iowa State history.  

Gomez finished in 11th place with a time of 1:50.32. While he did not match his PR, he came away with Second Team All-America honors. That made him a two-time All-American in the 800 meter event, as well as a five-time All-American overall.  

Gentil was unable to finish the race on Friday night. While certainly a disappointing end to an impressive indoor season for Gentil, he still came away with Second Team All-America honors, making him a four-time All-American.  

Eyes towards the outdoor season 

The Iowa State Men’s indoor track and field season was a success. The season included sending three competitors to the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, a fifth-place finish in the competitive Big 12 Championships and finishing ranked No. 21 nationally as a team.  

While the indoor season ended Saturday in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Cyclones won’t have to wait long for the outdoor season to begin. The Cyclones kick off the outdoor season at the UCF Black and Gold Invitational Friday. 

The men’s and women’s teams will look to build on last year’s outdoor season, which concluded with six Cyclones qualifying for the NCAA Outdoor Championships.