Iowa State softball prepares for battle against No. 1 Sooners

Tyler Coe

Iowa State freshman Angelina Allen rounds first base after hitting a home run against Iowa on April 26 2022 at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

Pavle Markovic, Sports Reporter

The 11-14 Iowa State softball team prepares for its home opener against the top dog in the country, Oklahoma. 

The Cyclones are coming off of a devastating loss as they couldn’t take down the Cornhuskers Wednesday. They fell by a score of 3-1 in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Junior pitcher Saya Swain showed out in Lincoln and she now gets to look ahead to a Sooners team that has looked almost unstoppable all season.

Iowa State now looks to try and get to .500 as it will not have an easy time over the weekend against a Sooners team that has only lost once all season. The Sooners got the better of Iowa State in every meeting last season, mercy ruling the Cyclones twice.

The Sooners are 27-1 overall this season. Their only loss came against a close-fought game in Waco, Texas, where they fell to Baylor.

The Sooners have been dominating all season like a well-oiled machine, easily putting up runs while shutting their opponents down.

Oklahoma has been the favorite in every matchup all season long, and it continues to prove why it’s the best team in the country. The Sooners only dropped three games all of last season, as they cruised to a College World Series win.

For Iowa State, the matchup with Oklahoma signals the start of Big 12 play. The entire conference is playing exceptionally well, while the Cyclones have been on a skid recently.

The Cyclones get an opportunity now to step up in what could potentially be the biggest series in the entire season. They will look to play spoiler this weekend in hopes of upsetting a dominant Sooners squad. 

Iowa State will start off the weekend against No. 1 Oklahoma at 4 p.m. Friday in Ames.

The series will finish off Saturday as the Cyclones will get to face off against the Sooners in a doubleheader. The first matchup of the doubleheader will start at 1 p.m., which will then be followed by the second matchup of the day, which is currently slated for 3:30 p.m.