Three Big Takeaways: Iowa State breaks records at Stanford Invitational

Jacob Rice

Junior Dana Feyen competes at the ISU Classic at Lied Athletic Center in Ames, Iowa on Feb. 11. Feyen finished sixth in the second heat of the women’s 5000m, running a personal best time of 16:06.26.

Cayden Storm, Sports Reporter

The Cyclones men’s and women’s distance squads made a trip to the Stanford Invitational Friday to continue their outdoor season.  

Iowa State athletes competed hard across the board to set new personal best and make history for the Cyclones.

Cyclone men dominate 1,500 meters

The Iowa State men sent three runners to compete in the 1,500-meter run.  

Junior Ezekiel Rop finished with a time of 3:40.96, resulting in a first-place finish in section two. His time was good enough for No.8 all-time in Iowa State history in the 1,500-meter run.  

Senior Chad Johnson ran to a fourth-place finish in section one with a time of 3:43.52.  

In section three, freshman Emanuel Galdino ran to a seventh-place finish with a time of 3:49.09. 

Freshman Ashlyn Keeney was the only Iowa State woman to compete in 1,500 meters. In her outdoor debut, Keeney ran an excellent race, clocking in at 4:24.11. The performance was good enough to land her in second place in her heat, as well as a near top-10 finish in Iowa State history, being less than two seconds off that mark.  

PRs fall in 5,000 meters

The men sent four runners to compete in the 5,000-meter race. 

In section three, freshman Rodgers Rotich finished with a time of 13:53.82 in his outdoor debut, finishing in fifth place in the heat. 

Kelvin Bungei put on an impressive performance in section two. His time of 13:52.57 knocked 28 seconds off of his previous best time and was good enough for 12th place in the heat.  

In section one junior Gable Sieperda ran a 13:40.04, only .34 seconds away from cracking the top-10 spot in Iowa State history. The time placed him in 13th in the heat.  

There was another impressive performance in section one. Senior Titus Winders raced to a new PR time of 13:50.05, finishing in 19th place.  

The women sent three runners to compete in the 5,000-meter race.  

Brenna Cohoon was the first to compete in the 5,000 meters. She ran to a new PR of 16:35.01, which is over seven seconds faster than her previous best time. The performance earned her 12th place in Section four.  

Later in the night, Dana Feyen ran to a PR of 15:58.33, greatly outpacing her previous best time. The performance was good enough for seventh place in section two, as well as the eighth fastest time in Iowa State history in the 5,000 meters.  

In the final section of the 5,000-meter race, Cailie Logue set a new PR with a time of 15:36.40, which was nearly four seconds faster than her previous best. That performance resulted in a fifth-place finish in section one, as well as bettering her No.3 ranking in Iowa State history.  

Cyclones finish strong in 3,000-meter Steeplechase  

Two Cyclone women competed in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.  

Kiki Connell ran to a PR time of 10:21.41, which was over 17 seconds faster than her previous best time. That time moved Connell into fourth place all-time in Iowa State history. Her performance also came with a second-place finish in her heat, only coming .31 seconds behind the first-place mark.  

Coming into the meet Janette Schraft ranked No.3 in Iowa State’s record books in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, but she was still able to set a new PR of 10:07.70. That time was good for a sixth-place finish in section one, and further cemented her place in the No.3 spot in Iowa State history.  

Following the Stanford Invite, as well as the Texas Relays where field athletes and short-distance runners finish competing Saturday, the Cyclones will be back in action April 7 in Pella, Iowa, for the Dutch Invitational.