Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones finish fourth at the Big 12 Championships

LUKE LU

Iowa State junior Taglao Jeeravivitaporn hits a practice shot at the Cyclone Golf Performance Center ahead of the 2021 season.

The Iowa State women’s golf team took fourth at the Big 12 Championships, with two freshmen finishing inside the top five.

The Cyclones finished the weekend with a three-round team score of 877(+13). They finished in the middle of the pack after the first two days, finishing in sixth after round one and then moving to fifth after round two. After a collapse of a third round by Texas Tech, who went 18 over par as a team, the Cyclones slid into fourth place.

Freshman Pammy Chookaew was the standout for Iowa State this weekend, finishing second in what is no doubt her best outing of the season.

Here are the three big takeaways from the Cyclones’ Big 12 Championships campaign.

Freshmen lead the way for the Cyclones

Chookaew and fellow freshman star Karisa Chul-Ak-Sorn continued their successful first year at Iowa State, each finishing in the top five. Chookaew finished the first two days in first place overall, shooting a 67(-5) in round one and a 73(+1) in round two. She shot another 73(+1) in the final round, with a three-round total of 213(-3).

Chul-Ak-Sorn was tied for 11th after round one and then dropped into a tie for 14th at the end of round two. She carded a 70(-2) in her final round with a three-round total of 216(E), jumping up nine spots to finish in fifth place.

Durisic improves each round

Liyana Durisic started her campaign this weekend with an 83(+11) in the first round, finishing second-to-last overall. She took a huge leap in round 2, carding a 68(-4) and finishing in a tie for 30th.

She wrapped up her weekend with a 73(+1) in the final round, finishing in a tie for 23rd place.

Two Cyclones have a rough weekend

Ruby Chou and Taglao Jeeravivitaporn each finished over par in all three rounds and held the Cyclones back all weekend regarding the team score.

Chou finished her weekend with a three-round total of 232(+16), finishing in a tie for 36th place. Jeeravivitaporn carded a 77(+5) in all three rounds, finishing in a tie for 34th place.

NCAA regional selections will be announced at noon Wednesday on the Golf Channel and will determine the fate of the Cyclones’ postseason. If the team or any individuals are selected, they will compete May 8-10.