Ashley Miles Greig named head coach of Cyclone gymnastics

Ethan Mito/Clarkson Creative Photography

Iowa State gymnastics team members huddle together at the 2022 Big 12 Gymnastics Championships on March 19 in Denver, Colorado.

Andrea Maldonado, Sports Reporter

The Iowa State gymnastics team officially welcomed Ashley Miles Greig as the new head coach of the program Wednesday. 

It has been a long time since Iowa State has had a female head coach lead the program. Current head coach for the Oklahoma Sooners gymnastics program, K.J. Kindler, was the last female head coach for Iowa State from 1992-2006. 

Miles Greig was a star participant for Alabama’s gymnastics program as she earned 20 postseason titles from 2003-2006. Miles Greig’s strong suit as a gymnast was vault, in which she became the second woman in NCAA history to win three career titles. In 2004 Miles Greig was also crowned national champion in the floor exercise. 

In addition to her accolades, Miles Greig was a 12-time First Team All-American during her collegiate career and previously a member of the U.S. Senior National team from 2001-2003. During her international career, Miles Greig was the 2002 Spring Cup champion and a bronze medal winner in the 2001 Gymnastics World Championships. 

After a nationwide search for the head coach position, Miles Greig fit the vision for the Iowa State gymnastics program. 

“Ashley’s dynamic personality and leadership qualities were evident from our first discussion about this position, and when you couple that with her being one of the most decorated collegiate gymnasts of all-time, there was no question that we wanted her to be the next head coach of the Cyclone program,” Senior Associate Athletics Director Calli Sanders stated in a release from the athletics department. “She has a commanding presence and a passion for collegiate gymnastics that will excite our current student-athletes, future recruits and loyal fans.”

“Her commitment to the well-being of our gymnasts fits perfectly with the culture of Cyclone Athletics,” Sanders stated. “Ashley has a vision to make us a nationally competitive program that excels academically and athletically, and we believe she is the ideal person to lead our program.”

Miles Greig’s entrance to Iowa State athletics is well celebrated by all the team members. She brings a new presence to a program that was led by Jay Ronayne for over a decade.

“I am honored to represent Iowa State University as a steward of the gymnastics program, and am grateful to Jamie Pollard and Calli Sanders for allowing me this opportunity,” Miles Greig stated. “I can’t wait to engage with our current student-athletes as we come together to build a championship-level program. What impressed me most on my campus visit was the passion I felt for the Cyclones and the positive culture that was evident throughout the department.”

On behalf of Cyclone gymnastics, Haylee Young expressed being thrilled about Miles Greig being the new head coach. 

“Having an empowered woman leading our program is so exciting,” Young said. “I can’t wait to see what Ashley brings to Ames.”