College of Human Sciences week to celebrate the colleges departments

Jackie Norman/Iowa State Daily

Presenting to an excited audience, the Food Sciences Club showed how to make ice cream with liquid nitrogen on Oct 4 for Human Sciences week. The club explained the basic chemistry of how it works and offered free ice cream to everyone who showed up.

Laurel Glynn

Iowa State’s College of Human Sciences will bring multiple lectures, a carnival and more as part of their annual College of Human Sciences week.

With the goal of reaching community members beyond their own college, throughout the week, students will show off the work they have done in their majors.  

Co-chairs Ryan True and Kayla Morehead took the lead on this project in hopes of extending their outreach to the rest of the university, True said.   

“We work to empower people to take roles that would celebrate the great work of the college,” True said. “We feel that the academic and professional work that’s done inside and outside the College of Human Sciences is really worth celebrating with everybody.”

Each branch will host special events, giving each a chance to show off what they do individually as well as what the college does collectively, according to the College of Human Sciences.

On Monday, there will be $2 cherry pies in the Joan Bice Underwood Tearoom from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., courtesy of the apparel, events and hospitality students.

“We wanted to include the university in the celebration of the college,” True said. “We feel that the academic and professional work that’s done inside and outside the College of Human Sciences is really worth celebrating with everybody.”

The department of human development and family studies will host the “Game of Life” from noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday the East Marston lawn. This gives attendees a chance to play interactive games that aid in the understanding of human development.  

Hollywood costume designer, Ruth E. Carter, will also be giving a presentation at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Stephen’s Auditorium.

On Wednesday, the department of kinesiology will host a human sciences walk from noon to 1 p.m. This walk will begin and end on the south lawn of MacKay Hall.

The rest of Wednesday will focus strongly on culture with a panel on the educational and social experiences of Latinx youth, hosted by the department of human and family studies and the school of education from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in Kildee Hall. There will also be a multicultural and international student dinner in the Tearoom.

“Our goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive community,” said Debra Sellers, associate dean of Extension and Outreach. “That welcoming place isn’t a geographic place. It’s a sense of feeling and belonging.”

On Thursday, there will be a carnival on central campus from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. This event showcases the work of College of Human Science students and allows interaction with the community through music, food and fun.  
“In previous years we just kept it within the college, but we’re trying to expand and receive more praise,” True said.

The Food Science Club will be hosting a demonstration on nitrogen ice cream from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday in MacKay Hall and a lecture on human trafficking from 6:15 to 8:15 p.m. Thursday in LeBaron Hall.

On Friday, the week wraps up with Pizza and Packing, which is a philanthropy event from noon to 2 p.m. where students can eat pizza and pack school supplies in LeBaron Hall for elementary students in need.

“I plan on supporting all of the events and I certainly consider extension and outreach to be integral to the mission of the college just as research and teaching are integral to the mission,” Sellers said.  

By hosting all these activities, those within the College of Human Sciences hope to achieve their goals of bringing all of campus to appreciate “the enjoyment and the work that was done and the impact that it has on us on campus, on culture here at Iowa State, but more so on American culture and American society,” True said.