A Case for Cornel West as President 

Courtesy of Unsplash
Dr. Cornel West seeks nomination for the 2024 election for the Green Party.

It is almost that time again when we select our political leaders and set our future in a particular direction. What is at stake in this upcoming presidential election is more important than others, at least within recent times. Every election, the state of the nation seems to be dwindling more to a paralyzed standstill, where the social fabric that lines our values, traditions and relationships is put on full display to see how much we care to sustain them.

The future, on the surface, appears dim and confusing. Many do not know whom to trust, why they should trust them or if it’s worth even participating in the elections. In light of this, I believe it is time for us to turn away from traditional two-party candidates and consider other options.

Most will readily admit that the status-quo Democrats and Republicans have gutted American politics, drawing harsh lines and launching politically motivated attacks against one another. Anyone who attempts to question this constant process is put under the corporate microscope and slandered and challenged in any way possible. It is no secret that American greed and power limit the opportunities of the working class and lower-class people.

Dr. Cornel West has had these very people on his mind since he was an adolescent. For over 50 years, Dr. West has been on the front lines of civil rights, accountability and truth. To strip the American electoral process of greed and deception means dismantling the U.S. empire. In fact, this is exactly what West aims to do.

Dr. West initially sought the nomination as a part of the People’s Party but now seeks the nomination as a candidate for the Green Party. One may ask, and certainly, it is a fair question, why should we vote for a Green Party candidate? Voting in this matter will take away votes from the candidate who will actually win, right? Yes, if you have a heavy preference for a Democratic candidate over a Republican candidate (or vice versa), then you might be hesitant to vote for a third-party candidate, such as Dr. West. However, this is the exact reason our electoral system is perpetually flawed. Our society is too preoccupied with choosing the lesser of two evils rather than voting for the candidate they truly align with.

No politician deserves votes because they are part of a larger, more powerful party. Dr. West would not just take votes away from any candidate. That is not how politics should be viewed. More popular candidates should be forced to earn votes, not expect them simply because they have wealthy donors and large ties to corporate America in their back pockets.

Dr. West, a scholar, social commentator and philosopher, has vowed to his most staunch opponents to campaign deep into their territory and welcome all who care to listen. Perhaps this is the most appealing part of Dr. West’s presidential campaign. Contrary to popular candidates, there is no useless name-calling and exclusion. West is consistent in his goal of being a president for all, which means accepting people who may be nothing like him or completely disagree with his premises.

Just a week ago, Dr. West was a guest on Fox News for a discussion with Laura Ingraham on the prospect of his candidacy. An important moment for me was when Dr. West declared that he was going into “Trump Country” to appeal to those voters and hopefully find some common ground, to which Laura Ingraham responded, “They are going to hate you.”

A phrase such as that sums up the dogma of today’s politics. You might disagree with someone, but there should be no place for hate, and if supporting a certain politician drives you to hate someone else, then perhaps it is time to detach from them. For this reason, I ask you to consider voting for Dr. West in the next presidential election. If you prioritize accountability, truth, justice, better education, demilitarization abroad and empowering the working class and poor, I urge you to support Dr. Cornel West for president in 2024.

View Comments (9)
$2700
$2500