Capturing artistic visions and activism through a camera lens

Avery Staker
A building in Italy photographed while Avery Staker was traveling abroad.

The photography account on Instagram, “homebodypics,” displays the work of an Iowa State graduate making a name for themselves. Behind the camera lies artist and activist Avery Staker.

“It’s really just about the visibility; it’s a place to put everything that I’m working on,” Staker said. “It’s really helped me kind of find a sense of agency to be like, ‘This is mine.’”

When Staker studied abroad in Italy, a Sony Alpha 6000 camera was a necessary item on their packing list. In between lessons, Staker filled their memory card with photos of Italy’s culture. 

After touring the Jewish Cemetery of Trieste, Staker learned there were fears that the state would overrun the cemetery due to money shortages. To capture the essence of the cemetery, Staker was able to take photographs that were later given back to the cemetery.

“They were like, ‘If this place ever does get overrun, we’ll have these pictures to remember that it exists, and that’s important,’” Staker said. “That moment was when I was like, ‘Wow, this is actually important.’”

The broad range of art that photography brings was brought to Staker’s attention during this trip. They said they could see something as simple as an excited dog running around as something that needed to be photographed.

A dog playing in Italy. (Avery Staker)

“[Photography] can be fun, it can be educational [and] it can be justice,” Staker said. “It can be anything you really need it to be.”

Staker participated in the immersive Trieste and the Meaning of Place study abroad program to complete their women and gender studies minor. 

“It was basically just, ‘We’re going to go here and you’re going to get thrown into the culture and you’re going to do your best,’” Staker said.

No matter where they went, they always brought their camera with them and spent hours photographing landscapes, people and beautiful sights.

Learning Photography

Before Staker’s camera lens saw Italy’s finest views, its main purpose was to capture local street art. They credit JLMC 310, taught by professor Diane Bugeja, for their skills in street photography.

“The way Diane taught us to look at things was to see everything and not just what’s in front of us—how it is relating to what’s around it, whether it’s just an object or a person, looking at angels and colors and composition and lighting,” Staker said. “I really related to seeing the world in just a very creative way.”

This photojournalism class helped Staker make connections with the world around them. Many assignments for this class had simple guidelines: go outside and take photos of what you find. Staker was encouraged to view the world in a way they hadn’t before, leading to a new creative perspective. 

“There’s always kind of this wheel turning in my head that’s like, ‘This would be cool for a photoshoot,’” Staker said.

Alma Vintage

Before starting a photoshoot for local shop Alma Vintage, Staker brings the shoot’s aesthetic to life with a playlist matching the theme. For a 1950’s era Valentine’s Day, the models posed while love songs from this classy decade played in the background. 

“Avery just does a really great job at making sure that everyone feels confident,” said Courtney Larsen, a sales associate at Alma Vintage and junior in apparel, merchandising and design. “They’ll explain to us what their vision is so we’re able to kind of work with them and make sure it works well.”

A model poses for a photoshoot with Alma Vintage. (Avery Staker)

Each photoshoot, which typically last from one to three hours, focuses on pieces found at Alma Vintage. The owner, Ashley Wood-Rivera, and Staker work together to create pinterest boards to find inspiration for photoshoots.

“What’s so cool about it being vintage is that they’re able to have items that have really unique features, like cool embroidery or patchwork denim,” Larsen said.

Larsen started modeling for Alma Vintage last fall after being found through her work in Trend, Iowa State’s fashion magazine. Larsen said they also find models through people reaching out to their Instagram and models including their friends in shoots.

“They have a really great eye for casting people with really cool, unique features,” Larsen said. “You’ll have people with different hair or lots of tattoos, [and] it’s just really fun because you get a really cool mix of people.”

Models pose for a photoshoot for Alma Vintage. (Avery Staker)

Including models of different gender identities, sizes, hair colors and other diverse factors is important to Alma Vintage, according to Larsen. Their goal is to represent every kind of person.

Concert Photography and Other Dreams

Staker’s skills have been utilized at events in Downtown Des Moines, leading them to experience local concerts and celebrations through their camera’s lens. 

CelebrAsian, an annual event hosted by Iowa Asian Alliance, was the first large event Staker was able to photograph in 2021 that led to their passion of concert photography. 

With no photography pit, Staker found themselves running around the stage at the end of CelebrAsian while Bruno Mars cover band Earth to Mars ended the night. 

“I just started taking pictures of them,” Staker said. “Street photography is about capturing motion, capturing quick movements, having your shutter speed up really high and just getting whatever’s around you. It was just a really high energy environment.”

Looking back, Staker said these are some of their favorite photos they’ve ever taken. The band told Staker they enjoyed seeing them running around with their camera because they had never had anyone do that at their show before. 

“That was the very first show that was like, ‘Concert photography is actually really fun and cool,’” Staker said. “Having it be with local bands is a lot more fun because they really, really want to interact with you.”

Wooly’s and Lauridsen Amphitheater, concert venues in Des Moines, offer volunteer sign up sheets for photographers that Staker often takes advantage of a few times a month. 

“I think this is great because it makes creative opportunities very accessible,” Staker said.  

Staker feels this gives photographers unique opportunities and a chance to experience concert photography.

On the top of Staker’s “photography bucket list” is becoming a concert tour photographer, following an artist as they perform all over the world. They dream of having Lloyd Wakefield’s job, the man behind the photographs that have captured every sparkly vest and playful moment of Harry Styles’ “Love on Tour” for the past two years.

“There’s just a certain energy that comes with live music photography, and he just captures it perfectly,” Staker said.

Second on the “photography bucket list” is directing, producing and writing movies as a way to portray their artistic visions through videography. Working for National Geographic falls behind this on the list, traveling to photograph nature and create art that can bring attention to climate change. 

Photographing a major photoshoot is the lists’ final item, added with Time’s “Person of the Year” and Forbes’ “30 Under 30” in mind.

“This is my message to everyone that they should not limit their dreams,” Staker said. “Creativity is a space for dreaming big.”

LGBTQIA+ Activist

While at Iowa State, Staker started Pride Goes Greek, an organization that created a support system for the LGBTQIA+ community within sororities and fraternities. Although they graduated and are no longer involved with the group, Staker feels it successfully connected the queer community within Greek life during their time in Alpha Gamma Delta. 

“In my experience with clubs and organizations, you’re going to get out what you put into it,” Staker said. “I put everything I had into finding those connections on campus.”

As a way to show support for the LGBTQIA+ community during a wave of anti-LGBTQIA+ legislation in March, Staker photographed protests hosted by the Iowa Queer Student Alliance and Iowa WTF. 

After seeing that most protests were done at high schools, Staker reached out to Iowa WTF and asked what college students could do to help. Staker was then encouraged to photograph protests at Iowa State, Ames High and the Des Moines Capitol. 

Support was shown for the LGBTQIA+ community in Des Moines. (Avery Staker)

“As someone who didn’t come out until after high school, seeing all of the young LGBT kids in high school not only knowing who they are, but being very loud and out and proud and taking action because of that, it’s very healing. It’s very calming,” Staker said.

Photography is a way for Staker to capture the passion behind the protest, both visually and mentally.

“There are people here that this is affecting, and I was able to show that through taking pictures and just being in that community space, doing what I love to do while celebrating what other people love to do,” Staker said. “Also, pushing for justice was really cool.”