BREAKING: Hunter Dekkers accused of betting on Iowa State sports

Jacob Rice
Hunter Dekkers listens to his coaches speech after the Iowa State Spring football game, Jack Trice Stadium, April 22.

Iowa State quarterback Hunter Dekkers is facing charges of tampering with records following the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation’s look into sports gambling by Iowa State athletes.

Iowa State athletics released a statement on May 8 revealing that 15 student-athletes were being investigated for sports gambling offenses. From that point on, an investigation of football, wrestling and track and field athletes began in hopes to uncover the individuals involved.

Travis Hines and Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register reported the filing of a criminal complaint from the Story County Attorney’s Office against Dekkers Tuesday. The complaint alleges that Dekkers operated a DraftKings account in which he placed a significant amount of wagers, including one for an Iowa State football game.

Dekkers has been accused of placing 26 wagers on Iowa State games across various sports with the one football game being back in 2021 when Iowa State took on Oklahoma State. Dekkers did not play in that game.

The complaint also alleged that Dekkers placed approximately 366 sports wagers totaling over $2,799.

Dekkers was primed to be Iowa State’s starting quarterback for the 2023 season. Under the NCAA guidelines prohibiting student-athletes from wagering on sports at their university and sports they are involved in, Dekkers would face permanent loss of eligibility.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500