Students talk first day experiences, class rules they disagree

Daniel Jacobi II
New Iowa State students receive merchandise at the Cyclone Welcome Weekend Cookout on Friday, Aug. 18, 2023, at the Lied Recreation Athletic Center in Ames.

The first day of classes has come and gone at Iowa State University, and many returning students stepped foot on campus for the first time in months.

With the first day comes the review of the syllabi for each course. Even discussing a syllabus can strike emotion in some students, but some class rules stand out to students above the rest.

Multiple students questioned rules against having electronics in class such as laptops, tablets and phones. History major Josh Poe was one of these students to call out the policy, saying some people can learn easier by using technology to take notes.

“Not everybody is great at taking notes, writing down, being able to copy stuff,” Poe said. “Professors who are stuck in the Stone Age and don’t understand that are holding back a lot of students who would be doing a lot better otherwise.”

Chloe Mettenbrink, a junior studying pre-industrial design, cited the “proof of absence” policy as the worst, as some absences cannot always be proven. Mettenbrink said sometimes there are circumstances in which there would be no proof.

Among the top things students appreciate about Iowa State, students mentioned the beauty of the campus. Mettenbrink also said the people are one of the main reasons to fall in love with Iowa State.

“I love the people here,” Mettenbrink said. “I think it’s just a great atmosphere, super welcoming.”

With class schedules ranging from all day to a quick morning class before having the rest of the day off, the stresses and motivating factors for students are varied.

For Mettenbrink, a concern to start the year is changing from a major in the business school to the design school. While nervous, the new experiences are also what Mettenbrink is most excited for.

“Nervous and excited,” Mettenbrink said. “I think I’m excited to have something I am a little more interested in.”

Isabel Holzschuh, a sophomore in supply chain management, is feeling the looming stress of assignments that will be due and the potential of them piling up.

“My brain’s in summer mode still,” Holzschuh said.

Hozschuh’s piece of advice to other students was to do all of the assigned work to keep up in the class.

Poe had an eventful first day of classes but made the most of the situation and said the day was good overall.

“I only had three classes today and two of them were in the same classroom with the same professor back-to-back so that was nice,” Poe said. “But I missed my bus which kind of blew, so I had to walk.”

With one day in the books and the rest of the year yet to unfold, the story of the school year is only in its beginning chapter.