Hopeful auditionees try out for ISU Theater’s Head Over Heels

Head Over Heels will be performed in Fisher Theater from October 27 to November 5.
“Head Over Heels” will be performed in Fisher Theater from October 27 to November 5.

The tension in the room was palpable. A hopeful auditionee tapped her foot as she waited anxiously for her name to be called. Another hummed their audition piece quietly in the corner while others focused on filling out their information sheets. Despite the nervous energy, students chatted happily with one another as they waited for their turn to audition for this year’s musical, “Head Over Heels.”  

“Head Over Heels” is a jukebox musical that features the music of The Go-Go’s, an all-female rock band from the late seventies. Fans can expect “We Got the Beat” and “Heaven Is A Place on Earth,” among other hits. “Head Over Heels” also reimagines the classic novel “The Countess of Pembroke’s Arcadia” by Sir Philip Sidney and tells the story of a royal family and their adventures as they set out on a mission to save their kingdom from extinction.

As students arrived, they were greeted by the stage manager, Moníca Toro, a senior majoring in performing arts, and the assistant stage manager, Kenedy Panosh, a junior majoring in performing arts.

“I get more stressed for auditions than nervous because I want things to run as smoothly as possible and get excited to see so many talented people,” Toro said. She was responsible for organizing auditionees and calling names to enter the room.

“I was excited to see everyone, but [I’m] a bit nervous as this is my first time running auditions,” said Panosh. Toro and Panosh were responsible for handing out information sheets and greeting auditionees. It is the third show Panosh has been part of Iowa State.

After completing their auditions, Bo Tracy, a sophomore in elementary education, and Malaney Butrick, a junior in elementary education, expressed their excitement for the show as this will be their first show as students at Iowa State University.

“[I’m feeling nervous],” Buttrick said. “This will be my first time in a long time auditioning for someone who hasn’t ever heard me sing outside of the audition room.”

Tracy said he felt “uneasy, like an over-easy egg but not easy.”

Tracy said he drives for Doordash and practiced his audition piece in the car while making deliveries.

“Buy your tickets early,” said returning student Mia Mattingly, a sophomore majoring in music. “It is going to be a heck of a show- always support actors, and remember to tip your drag queens.”   

“Head Over Heels” will open at Fisher Theater in October. Tickets are free for Iowa State students and youth and can be purchased for $25 through Iowa State’s ticket office, Ticketmaster, or at the door. Performances will run from Oct. 27 to Nov. 5.