Three Cyclones take home All-Tournament honors at GCU Tournament

Tyler Coe
Annie Hatch prepares to serve the ball for Iowa State in their season opener against South Dakota at Hilton Coliseum on Aug. 25, 2023.

It was a successful weekend for the Cyclone volleyball team in Phoenix, Arizona. The Cyclones went 3-0, defeating Arizona, Long Island and Grand Canyon to secure the tournament championship.

Three Cyclones earned All-Tournament honors for their performances.

Senior outside hitter Annie Hatch took home Tournament MVP with her impressive three-game stretch.

Hatch racked up 30 kills over the weekend with a .358 hitting. She had two double-figure kill performances as well as a blistering .545 hitting against Long Island.

Hatch has been consistent as they come for the Cyclones to start the year and her senior leadership has proven to be valuable to a young Iowa State team.

Senior middle blocker Jordan Hopp was named to the All-Tournament team after totaling 14 blocks and 22 kills, with an impressive .386 hitting.

In the final match of the tournament against Grand Canyon, Hopp had six solo blocks, which is tied for the third most in a single game in Iowa State history.

Freshman outside hitter Nayeli Gonzalez was also named to the all-tournament team.

Over the weekend Gonzalez totaled 32 kills, 20 digs, eight blocks and four aces. She had a team-high 17 kills against Grand Canyon in the tournament finale.

This tournament continued what has been a very impressive freshman campaign from Gonzalez.

The Cyclones now sit undefeated through five matches and will look to continue their hot start to the season on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in this year’s Cy-Hawk matchup in Iowa City.