A glance at fall fashion trends

Daniel Jacobi II
“Through the Fire – 2007,” by Connor Madsen, is modeled during The Fashion Show: “The Suite Escape,” April 15, 2023, in C.Y. Stephens Auditorium.

As fall creeps up on us, so do new fashion trends. Fall is a time to cozy up in your favorite oversized flannel, but what else?  

Every season, fashion trends pop up, and staying on top of those trends can be a task in itself. Clothes that were popular in fall 2022 could be out of style now, so predicting new trends is important. 

According to Karissa Mitchell, the senior fashion and beauty editor at Teen Vogue, a reliable fashion magazine, there are ten important trends to look out for this fall. This article will focus on three of these fashion trends. 

Trend 1: Mixing Metals

Choosing between silver and gold is not a problem anymore because this fall, we are taking a risk with jewelry.

“Mixing silver and gold is just one example of how you can play with different elements to craft a stylish and unique look that resonates with your personality,” Mitchell said.

From necklaces that already have silver and gold in them to stacking combinations of metal rings, this fall will be full of men and women mixing their metals.

Trend 2: Knee-Length Shorts

Jumping from jewelry to clothing, knee-length shorts are back and better. This is not a new trend; knee-length shorts were popular in the 1990s and 2000s, but as we have seen with many fashion trends, they are making a comeback. This trend is usually paired with Y2K clothing; Mitchell thinks “the trend comes in a plethora of options, often styled with other Y2K essentials.”

This is an affordable trend, and wearing big, baggy shorts to class is easy and comfortable!

Trend 3: Statement and Baby Tees

What can be paired with knee-length shorts? Easy, another trend this fall will be statement and baby tees.

According to Mitchell, “The best thing about statement and baby tees is that they are the outfit.” A good tee takes a simple pair of shorts to the next level.

These types of tops can give students the opportunity to express themselves and can be an easy steal at a local thrift shop. Plus, with all the hot weather in the Midwest, we will be able to wear t-shirts for longer this year! 

The most important trend to remember this fall is this: “Fall 2023 semester style is all about having fun,” Mitchell said. Be yourself and try new things this fall.