Cyclones in the NFL: Week Two

Brock Purdy (left) and Breece Hall (right) look to the sideline for a play call against No.10 Iowa on Sept. 11.

Brock Purdy:

Purdy is still undefeated on the year after helping the San Francisco 49ers take down the Los Angeles Rams 30-23.

Although Purdy threw no touchdowns during the game, he did not need to for the 49ers to pull out a win. The 49ers are now 2-0 on the year.

Purdy threw for 206 yards and completed 68% of his passes. His efficiency set up many scoring drives for the 49ers. Purdy finished the game with a 93.1 passer rating and a 75.0 quarterback rating (QBR).

Purdy also contributed to the offense on the ground by quarterback sneaking into the end zone right before the half to tie up the game.

All-in-all, Purdy showed that he can lead the 49ers to many wins in the future, as he has been solid in the regular season. He is also sporting the second-best QBR in the league through two games with an 83.7.

Purdy will look to continue building on his hot start to the season as the 49ers take on the New York Giants who are coming off an impressive comeback win against Arizona.

David Montgomery:

Montgomery has hit his stride early into his career as a Detroit Lion. However, Montgomery left another impressive outing with an injury scare late in the game.

Montgomery has already racked up 141 yards off 37 carries while tacking on two touchdowns. He scored a rushing touchdown each week. It was clear that Montgomery was the workhouse back for the Lions, as rookie Jahmyr Gibbs got comfortable in the NFL.

By the third quarter of the Lion’s game against the Seattle Seahawks, Montgomery already rushed for 67 yards and a touchdown, averaging over four yards per carry. However, Montgomery was tackled awkwardly and had to be helped to the bench late in the game.

Montgomery had to be carted off to the locker room due to the injury. It was announced Monday that he suffered a quad bruise which could sideline him for a couple weeks.

With Montgomery taking time off, it is expected that Gibbs and Craig Reynolds will take snaps in his place. Montgomery was a key piece in the Lions’ early success as he helped the team take down reigning Super Bowl Champions Kansas City Chiefs in week one by rushing for 74 yards and a touchdown.

Breece Hall:

Hall did not see much action in the New York Jets’ 30-10 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Hall rushed for nine yards on four carries. He was coming off a week that saw him break out some long rushes against the Buffalo Bills, including an 83-yard rush to nearly score a touchdown.

Hall’s 127 rushing yards against the Bills was a key reason that the Jets won 22-16 in overtime despite losing starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers on the first drive of the game. Hall was expected to have a similar workload against a stout Dallas defense, but that was not the case.

With the Jets trailing a majority of the game, they chose to go to the air more than on the ground. That resulted in Hall getting limited touches alongside his fellow running backs.

Hall was frustrated with the loss, as he knew if he had more opportunities to break out and perform like he did against the Cowboys, the score could look different.

Hall expressed that frustration in the post-game press conference as he said, “I mean, I only got four touches.”

Hall will have more opportunities in the coming weeks to prove himself as an asset to the Jets as they take on the New England Patriots on Sunday.

Will McDonald IV:

McDonald has a lot of hype surrounding himself entering the season, but has not had many opportunities to prove himself during the regular season.

McDonald saw some reps in week one in the Jets’ overtime win over the Bills, securing one solo tackle. After some impressive preseason reps, it was expected that McDonald would work his way up the depth chart.

However, the Jets defense is stacked, and it is hard for a rookie to make a splash every week.

McDonald was a healthy scratch from Sunday’s game against the Cowboys. It was the coach’s decision to list him as inactive going into the matchup.

Going forward, McDonald will have to keep working throughout the week if he wants to earn reps on the field.

Allen Lazard:

Lazard has been relatively quiet through the first two weeks of the season, only hauling in four catches for 69 yards.

In each of the first two weeks Lazard caught two passes. He had two catches for 23 yards against the Cowboys.

Lazard followed Rodgers to the Jets from the Green Bay Packers. With Rodgers out for possibly the season, Lazard is stuck with Zach Wilson.

Lazard should have more opportunities to make plays on the offense as the Jets take on the Patriots.

Xavier Hutchinson:

Hutchinson has been slowly getting more comfortable on the Houston Texans offense.

Although Hutchinson has not made any big plays, he has been targeted in each of the first two games. He also had a catch for nine yards in the first week.

The Texans are still young on offense as they had struggles in the first two weeks. The Indianapolis Colts took down the Texans 31-20. Those 20 points are a significant increase from week one where they scored only nine points.

The Texans take on the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday who also sport a fresh offense. With both offenses looking to make big plays, Hutchinson should have some reps on offense where he could get some catches.