Multicultural Business Network Students meet with Best Buy CFO

Megan Petzold/ Iowa State Daily
The Great Hall in the Memorial Union had its walls decorated in flags from around the world for the Global Gala event on March 23, 2018.

The Multicultural Business Network (MBN) organized an educational trip Sept. 21 to the Best Buy headquarters in Richfield, Minnesota. Students departed at 5 a.m., ready for a day of learning and networking.

Upon their arrival at Best Buy Headquarters at 8:30 a.m., students were greeted with a welcome from Best Buy employees. To kick off the day’s activities, Best Buy employees arranged a trivia game for students. The winning team, as well as the runners-up, were rewarded with a selection of prizes. This icebreaker not only brought laughter but also served as an opportunity for students to connect with Best Buy employees on a personal level.

The morning session consisted of a conference teaching students how to craft the perfect resume. Best Buy’s experts dissected ideal resumes, offering insights into what makes a resume stand out. They shared tips and tricks on how to improve resumes to land better internships and job opportunities, providing a helpful resource to the aspiring young professionals.

The conference showcased examples of outstanding resumes, illustrating the power of effective presentation and content. 

The goal of the conference was for students “to get a broader perspective on the idea of internships and the importance of getting an internship (and) the importance of networking”, said College of Business Director of Multicultural Student Success Brady Talley.

Following the conference, students were given an in-depth tour of the Best Buy headquarters. The tour gave students an idea of what working in a corporate setting is like. The tour not only showcased Best Buy’s work environment but also presented opportunities for students to consider internships within the company.

Students then attended a guest lecture by Jeanine Thompson, an expert in the field of business and a psychotherapist. Thompson provided insight into business trends and leadership strategies, hoping to offer students a glimpse into the broader corporate world. 

As the seminar concluded, the students had a unique opportunity to interact with Best Buy’s Chief Financial Officer, Matt Bilunas. The conversations allowed students to gain deeper insights into the inner workings of a Fortune 500 company and the role of a CFO. 

“Companies value diversity and value diverse populations and how they are focused in targeting multicultural students to come [to them],” Talley said. “MBN is a space provided for you to associate yourself, network yourself, as [part of] a student organization, that is primed for student leadership development.”

In a world where practical experience is often the key to success, the Multicultural Business Network offered these students an experience beyond the classroom

“Business is diverse. Now businesses are looking for diverse populations, and how you can be seen and valued for what you know, what you learn and what you represent, is what MBN is about,” Talley said.