BREAKING: Fire starts in Marston Hall

Marston+Halls+entrance+blocked+off+by+police+tape+after+a+fire+on+the+third+floor+was+reported.+Marston+Hall%2C+Oct.+20%2C+2023.+
Jacob Rice
Marston Hall’s entrance blocked off by police tape after a fire on the third floor was reported. Marston Hall, Oct. 20, 2023.

There were no injuries when a fire was started in a student organization closet on the third floor of Marston Hall around 2 p.m. Friday. The fire was mostly contained through the automatic sprinkler system.

The source of the fire is currently under investigation.

“On the third floor there was a storage closet and it caught fire,” said Jeremy Bowker, the business administrator of Marston Hall.

“Upon arrival of Engine 2 crew to investigate they found some smoke and water flow which indicated it was more than just a false alarm,” said Ames Fire Shift Commander Dave Folkmann.

Upon the Ames Fire Department’s arrival, people inside Marston were directed to exit.

Marston Hall’s entrance blocked off by police tape after a fire on the third floor was reported. Marston Hall, Oct. 20, 2023. (Jacob Rice)

“Everything’s out, now they’re just waiting for the smoke to clear,” Bowker said.

The people directed outside were allowed to return inside to grab belongings and leave. Marston Hall is closed for the rest of the day Friday and will remain closed over the weekend.