Iowa State volleyball heads back home to take on Oklahoma

Tyler Coe
Nayeli Gonzalez joins her team to celebrate a point against Ohio at Hilton Coliseum on Sept. 15, 2023.

The Iowa State volleyball team had a rough road schedule the past two weeks. The team has lost its last three games in sweeps, two of which being against top-10 ranked BYU.

This weekend, the Cyclones find themselves playing in Hilton Coliseum for what feels like the first time in a long time. They will do so against a struggling Oklahoma team.

Iowa State currently sits 4-4 in the Big 12 and 13-6 overall. This places the Cyclones right in the middle of the Big 12 standings, 7th out of 13.

As for the Sooners, they have not had a lot of success this season. Sitting at a 1-8 record in the Big 12 and 8-11 overall, Oklahoma is currently second-to-last in the conference.

The lone conference win for Oklahoma is Kansas State, which they won 3-2 before losing in a sweep in their second match to the Wildcats like the Cyclones did to start their losing streak.

BYU is the only other common opponent besides Kansas State that Iowa State and Oklahoma have faced so far, who swept both the Cyclones and the Sooners.

In away matches this season, Oklahoma is 1-8. On the flip side, Iowa State is 6-2 at home. This large differential might be the difference between winning and losing for the Cyclones.

The biggest key for Iowa State needs to be containing Oklahoma’s hitting percentage. The Sooners rank third in the conference at a .249 hit percentage this season, while Iowa State is seventh at .212.

Defensively, Iowa State has held opponents to a hit percentage of .204, fifth in the Big 12. Oklahoma’s opponent hit percentage is .211, right around where Iowa State has been hitting offensively.

Iowa State will look to turn things around in two matches this weekend. Saturday’s match will begin at 2 p.m. and will be streamed on ESPN+. Sunday’s match will be broadcast on ESPN and will start at noon.