No. 10 Iowa State takes on Cleveland State in season opener

Iowa+States+head+wrestling+coach+Kevin+Dresser+talking+with+the+press+for+wrestling+media+day+in+Lied+Recreation+Athletic+Center+on+Oct.+31%2C+2023.+
Joseph Dicklin
Iowa State’s head wrestling coach Kevin Dresser talking with the press for wrestling media day in Lied Recreation Athletic Center on Oct. 31, 2023.

The Cyclone wrestling season is set to get underway Sunday with a matchup against Cleveland State in Massillon, Ohio.

Coming off an 11th-place finish at last year’s NCAA championships, their best since 2013, the Cyclones have high expectations going into the 2023-24 season.

“This team is capable of definitely being a top-five team, but we said that last year and we didn’t get it done,” said Iowa State head coach Kevin Dresser at media day.

The road to being a top-five team at the end of the year starts with National Champion David Carr’s hometown Massillon, Ohio.

The Cyclones will be wrestling at Perry High School, where David Carr started his wrestling journey.

“It’s super special to wrestle in my old high school gym, it’s going to be a good time,” David Carr said on returning home.

This season Carr will look to win his second NCAA championship, after finishing in second place last season.

Another wrestler to look for is Yonger Bastida. Bastida, a 2022-23 All-American is making the jump from the 197-pound weight class to heavyweight.

“I’m super excited, last year I was talking about wanting to go up,” Bastida said about the jump in weight class.

The Cyclone lineup also projects to include four redshirt freshmen including identical twins Jacob and Evan Frost, who impressed at the wrestle-offs.

“They had big nights last Thursday night and I think it’s a testament to them, when you show up every day and put your nose to the grindstone you’re gonna have good results,” Dresser said about the Frost twins.

Last season, Cleveland State went 7-8 in duels and finished seventh in the MAC.

Wrestling is set to start at noon Sunday. The duel can be watched with UFC Fight Pass or can be listened to on Cyclones.com and the Varsity App.