Iowa State sends both teams to NCAA Cross County Championships

Joseph Dicklin
Quinton Orr running for Iowa State sprints towards the finish line during the Big 12 Men’s Cross Country Championship at the Iowa State cross country track on Oct. 28, 2023.

On Saturday, both the men’s and women’s cross country teams will make the trip to Charlottesville, Virginia, to compete in the NCAA cross country Championships. The teams qualified on Nov. 10, when they both placed second at Stillwater, Oklahoma, at NCAA Midwest Regionals.

They both placed behind the Oklahoma State Cowboy/Cowgirl cross country teams, which both also ran in Virginia earlier this season.

Both of the champion teams from 2022 also returned to the championship. On the men’s side, Northern Arizona, which is currently on a three-year streak, and the women’s champions, NC State, which is on a two-year streak.

Additionally, both Cyclones teams were ranked within the top 20 and are considered major teams to watch out for. The men’s team sits at 17th place, and the women’s is ranked 16th prior to the final race in the 2023 cross country season.

The teams both ran with the same rosters. The men are led by junior Said Mechaal, who placed fourth at Stillwater, and the women are led by redshirt senior Madelynn Hill, who also placed fourth.

The teams will conclude their seasons in Virginia at the NCAA Cross Country Championships at 10 a.m. Saturday. The women will open the day, with the men following them.