Senior vice president for operations and finance leaves university

Katherine Kealey
Beardshear Hall, Iowa State Campus, on Dec. 15, 2021

Shawn Norman resigned from his role as the senior vice president for operations and finance 11 months after starting in the role. The change was made effective Dec. 1.

According to a departure agreement signed by Norman and President Wendy Wintersteen, Norman will receive a $124,000 separation payment to be paid out during the first two weeks of January. 

Heather Paris, associate vice president for finance services, took over as the interim senior vice president for operations and finance Dec. 1, though according to Inside Iowa State, the change awaits Board of Regents approval.

According to Angie Hunt, news service director for strategic relations, there are no plans for a search to fill the position at this time. 

Norman started at Iowa State, in the position he resigned from, in January. Previously Norman worked at the University of Nevada, Reno. 

The office is responsible for “providing leadership and services to facilitate and enhance financial and strategic operations for thousands of university students, faculty and staff,” according to the Iowa State website.

Norman oversaw the budget, institutional financial strategy and treasury; facilities planning and management; finance services; payroll, benefits and tax; and speciality business services and cultural arts.

Shawn Norman, former senior vice president for finance and operations. (Christopher Gannon/Iowa State University)

Paris served as the interim senior vice president for operations and finance from September 2022 to January 2023, when Norman was hired.

Norman replaced Pam Cain, who retired from Iowa State in September 2022. 

Norman received a salary of $383,800 in fiscal year 2023.

View Comments (2)
$2700
$2500