Faculty Senate talk immediate access flat fee, DEI

Brielle Tuttle
Members of the Faculty Senate listen to the meeting agenda at the Memorial Union on Oct. 10, 2023.

The Faculty Senate held its final meeting of the year in the Memorial Union Tuesday and discussed the flat fee for immediate access items, President Wendy Wintersteen’s DEI focus group and new degree programs.

Faculty Senate President Sarah Bennett-George announced that Wintersteen asked her to be a part of Iowa State’s focus group set to review implementation for resolutions regarding DEI passed by the Board of Regents in November.

Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert answered questions from faculty senators about the focus group, and said it will be around 15 people consisting of students, faculty, staff and representatives from each college.

“That group will work to advise the President, me and other individuals on a university’s response to the decisions the directors that the board has made through their process,” Wickert said. “The university’s final report so to speak on actions will go to the board at their April 2024 meeting.”

First readings occurred for several degree changes which include:

• Adding a major in sports media and communication
  • Adding a master’s in digital health
  • Changing the name of biological and pre-medical illustration to scientific illustration and visualization
  • Adding a minor in applied mathematics

The Senate unanimously approved the planning of a new master’s degree program in applied statistics.

Additionally, Associate Provost for Academic Programs Ann Marie VanDerZanden said a $200 flat rate for immediate access items is “under review and discussion.”

“My understanding is beginning of the school year or to the beginning of the new year,” VanDerZanden said. “We’ll be getting additional feedback from various stakeholders on campus before it would be approved.”