Iowa State looks to get its first win in home matchup against No. 26 BYU

Tyler Coe
The Iowa State Gymnastics team cheers on their teammates floor routine in the season opening meet against Nebraska at Hilton Coliseum on Jan. 5, 2023.

The Cyclones host their third meet of the season and their second home meet as the No. 26 BYU Cougars come to Ames on Friday.

BYU enters the meet as the first Big 12 opponent for the Cyclones. The Cougars also narrowly boast the highest ranking prior to the meet, with their prior opponents both entering as No. 27 teams.

The night also marks a special promotion for Hilton Coliseum, officially titled Mental Health Awareness and Student Night.

Prior to the meet, the Cyclones could not claim victory in either of their first two meets. In addition, a scheduled meet Monday was also canceled due to the cold weather and poor conditions.

In their first matchup, they faced Nebraska, falling by a difference of only 0.3, and their second against Penn State ended in 0.475 point loss.

This meet marks only the third outing for the gymnastics team under head coach Ashley Miles Greig. Her first two outings marked one of the better Cyclone gymnastics openings and indicated future successes for the team.

BYU walks into Hilton with a 3-6 record, participating in three quad meets prior. The Cougars collected two wins Monday at the Rio Tinto Best of Utah meet and one Saturday at the Sprouts Farmers Market Collegiate Quad.

The Cougars also held their own in strong matchups against No. 2 Utah and No. 6 California but fell just short of the victory in both. BYU was the previous No. 19 team in the nation but slipped amidst its six losses.

This also marked the Cougars’ first Big 12 meet of the season. Interestingly, they also found themselves matched up with two Big 10 teams prior to their matchup Friday, just like Iowa State.

The Cyclones and Cougars meet will open at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Hilton Coliseum. The meet can be streamed live on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.67