Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones dominate on senior night, 29-11 over No. 17 West Virginia

Lee Chinyama
Casey Swiderski at the ISU vs. OSU wrestling meet on Jan. 29.

The Cyclones welcomed No. 17 West Virginia for their senior night on Friday and won 29-11.

The No. 4 Iowa State wrestling team got back on track as they dominated nearly every matchup and improved to 4-1 in the Big 12.

The comeback club

The electric senior night kicked off with a bang as Kysen Terukina set the stage, in a matchup with Jett Strickenberger. Hilton Magic was fully invested in the excitement. The Cyclones’ senior aggressively dominated the match, constantly pressuring Strickenberger.

Despite Terukina’s initial struggles, trailing 7-5 with 15 seconds left, he executed a spectacular three-point takedown, securing a 10-7 victory.

A few matches later, No. 10 Casey Swiderski had a tough test as he took on No. 7 Ty Watters.

For the first two periods, neither wrestler could land a takedown and the half-packed crowd, hungry for action, clamored for stalling calls on Watters. In the third, Watters secured four points within seconds as he earned an escape and takedown back-to-back.

With less than 30 seconds left, Swiderski mounted a remarkable comeback with a clutch takedown, forcing the match into a thrilling fourth period. The crowd erupted in cheers as Watters was warned for stalling, setting the stage for a nail-biting climax.

Swiderski got a takedown and rode out Watters to go to a deciding fourth period. Swiderski kept his momentum going as he took out Watters 7-4 in sudden victory to earn another top-10 win.

No surprises here

David Carr won his wrestling match Friday night. On senior night. Anyone shocked? Exactly.

For his 17th win of the year and 110th overall, Carr took on No. 8 Peyton Hall and came out on all cylinders. Carr got his first takedown of the night within seconds over Hall and took control of the match the rest of the way.

Hall ought to keep his head up high as he earned a takedown over Carr in the third period. That’s only the second takedown Carr has given up this season, his first since his loss to No. 7 Julian Ramirez (Cornell) at the Cliff Keen Invitational.

Carr ended up beating Hall 10-5 on one of his last duels at Hilton Coliseum ever and it was once again a top-10 victory. It will be no surprise when Carr goes down as one of the greatest wrestlers in Iowa State history.

18-0. First year at heavyweight. Cyclone. From Cuba. The wrestler? Yonger Bastida.

The senior has been a sensation to watch and is “built differently.” Bastida took on Michael Wolfgram and after allowing his second takedown against him all season, Bastida started attacking and things got ugly. Bastida defeated Wolfgram 23-8 by tech fall, his sixth TF of the year.

Carr and Bastida are automatic and both are looking like serious threats to take over the No. 1 spot in their respective weight classes. Check back in March and see if the two have what it takes to take the throne.

Well, that was quick

The Cyclone wrestling team got a gem when they found out that Evan Frost would be wrestling for them for the next few years in Ames.

The red-shirt freshman has yet to disappoint this year entering the match 12-3. He took on Mason Mills of West Virginia and from the start did not let off the gas. Frost landed numerous takedowns on Mills and only allowed one point which came by an escape.

Frost got a 17-1 tech fall to earn his 13th victory of the year, his third TF win of the season.

MJ Gaitan. If the wrestling world has not learned that name yet, they might want to as soon as possible. Blink and you may quite literally miss one of his signature pins on his opponents.

Gaitan came into the match with a 13-5 record, winning his last seven matches. Gaitan had found himself ranked 22 at 174 pounds after defeating his last two opponents, both in the top 30.

Gaitan took on No. 17 Brody Conley and took 38 seconds to win by fall to grab his 14th victory of the year. Of those 14, an impressive six of them have come by fall. Gaitian is continuing to find a way to get his opponents on their backs and not let up.

The California kid is getting hot at the right time and is looking to add his name as a potential champion in his weight class.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500