Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones drop one, win one at Denver Tri-Meet

Tyler Coe
Gymnast sticks the landing after peforming bars against Nebraska at Hilton Coliseum on Jan. 5, 2023.

The Cyclone gymnastics team participated in their first tri-meet and sixth overall competition of the season in Denver on Sunday afternoon. They were matched up with Denver and Southeast Missouri State. Denver entered the meet with a 7-2 record, while Southeast Missouri State came with a 5-6-1 record prior to Sunday. 

Iowa State entered the meet with a record of two wins and three losses, ranked at No. 22, and looking for its first road victory of the season after dropping its previous two away meets. 

Outside of some successful individual efforts, the Cyclones split their matchups with Southeast Missouri State and Denver, with a final score of 195.8. Denver defended its home territory with a first-place score of 197.775. 

Cyclones’ vault takes second place

The Cyclones have had strong performances as a team in the vault portion of the event throughout the season, and Sunday was no different. Overall, the team scored 49.150, second to Denver with 49.350 points. 

The team was led by Josie Bergstrom who scored a 9.875. This performance captured second overall for the individuals, following a 9.975 point showing by Denver’s Jessica Hutchinson. 

Noelle Adams continues to shine

Iowa State freshman Noelle Adams has been a highlight of the Cyclones team for the entire season up to the Denver Tri-Meet. Sunday was no different, as Adams posted a 9.900 point showing in the floor exercise. 

This 9.900 performance beat her average of 9.875 and tied her career-high. She also placed second in the vault for the Cyclones with a 9.800-point performance and an all-around score of 29.550.

Away woes continue

The gymnastics squad once again struggled on the road. The team beat out Southeast Missouri State but fell to Denver. The Cyclones also failed to meet their season average in points-per-meet, scoring 195.800.

This also dropped the team to a 1-1 record against Big 12 opponents. While they technically had conquered their first away win, the woes of being the away team continued with the Cyclones’ loss to Denver.

Iowa State will once again meet with Denver the following week when it enters the West Virginia Tri-Meet.