Election put aside: StuGov simplifies legislative rules, funds student organizations

Katarina Kotek
Vice President Quinn Margrett starts the Student Government meeting at the Memorial Union on Jan. 23

The Iowa State Student Government Senate conducted normal business following several meetings where decorum rules were brought up by members of the body, including Vice Presidential candidate and Sen. Sydney Jones saying she was “very, very uncomfortable” during a meeting in January.

During the meeting, Iowa State Student Government Advisor Kristine Heflin emphasized the importance of putting the goals of the organization before the upcoming election for the Senate, president and vice president.

“Campaigns aren’t battle lines, friends, like we’re still working together regardless of whose campaign you’re on […] we still have work to do, and we still have to do it,” Heflin said.

Vice President Quinn Margrett, a sophomore in business economics, reminded senators that they are able to challenge his procedural powers during meetings.

“If I make a procedural mistake, A, you can point of order me, I want senators to be aware of that and, B, if I sustain a motion in a way you disagree with you can actually motion to appeal the decision of the chair,” Margrett said after mentioning he made a procedural mistake last week.

Orders of business

The Senate passed a bill that would remove an unnecessary document containing rules for legislating and return them to their original home within the bylaws.

“One of the senators involved [when] I [was chief justice] at the time told me that their goal was to make it so it was harder for the Supreme Court to rule on the Senate rules,” said Speaker Alex Cecil, a senior in agronomy.

Additionally, the finance committee is preparing for student organization budget submissions, which are due Friday, and the sustainability committee recently implemented a bike fixing station outside the Memorial Union.

DubH, a hip-hop dance club, the water polo club and the Bangladesh Student Association all had their funding requests approved during the meeting Wednesday.

A bill that would add the news publication Bloomberg as a student news subscription was tabled to the next meeting.