Cyclone tennis searching for fourth straight win in the Cy-Hawk series

Jacob Rice
Freshman Gala Arangio retrieves a tennis ball after a singles match against Missouri State, Lifetime Fitness, Urbandale, Iowa, Jan. 20, 2024.

In the 52nd installment of the Cy-Hawk series, Iowa State seeks its fourth straight rivalry victory as the Hawkeyes travel to Urbandale, Iowa, to face the Cyclones.

Despite the Cyclones trailing the series by a wide margin of 41-10, they have managed to win the last three matchups, the past two being 4-0 sweeps. Between 1977 and 2019, the Hawkeyes won every matchup against the Cyclones, going on a 39-match win streak.

For many of this year’s Cyclones, it is their first taste of the Cy-Hawk matchup, which counts for more than just the win for the tennis team. The winner of the match also adds two points to the Cy-Hawk Series score that currently stands at 11-8 in favor of Iowa. With tennis, softball and gymnastics left to play, this is a must-win regarding the Cy-Hawk Series for Iowa State, which has won the series the past two years.

Iowa State is sitting at a record of 2-3 with three straight losses, while Iowa has won its past two and has an overall record of 3-5.

Iowa is headlined by sophomore Daianne Hayashida, who is ranked 85th in the ITA rankings. She has started the season with a 5-2 singles record, all coming from the first court. Hayashida won 10 of her 13 singles matches a season ago along with eight doubles wins. Last year against Iowa State, Hayashida was part of the doubles pair that took down the No. 39 pair of Thasaporn Naklo and Anna Supapitch Kuearum.

This is also head coach Jaron Maestas’ first experience with the Cy-Hawk match, but he is not new to big matchups. As an assistant coach for Kansas last year, Maestas was part of a group that won eight matches against nationally ranked opponents, including an NCAA Tournament first-round victory against No. 40 Charlotte.

A week after a 6-1 loss to Old Dominion where Iowa State lost every singles match, the Cyclones will look to respond in a big way against in-state rival Iowa Hawkeyes. Iowa State matches up against Iowa at 5 p.m. Friday at Life Time Fitness in Urbandale, Iowa.