Lone Frederiksen Court candidate Vierregger looks to keep momentum if elected

Lauren+Vierregger%2C+a+freshman+in+agronomy%2C+is+running+to+represent+Frederiksen+Court+in+the+Iowa+State+Student+Government+Senate.+The+photo+was+provided+by+Vierregger.+
Lauren Vierregger, a freshman in agronomy, is running to represent Frederiksen Court in the Iowa State Student Government Senate. The photo was provided by Vierregger.

Iowa State Student Government Sen. Lauren Vierregger, a freshman in agronomy, currently represents the Inter-Residence Hall Association (IRHA) Iowa State Student Government and is the only candidate running for the sole Frederiksen Court Senate seat.

In 2023, 148 Frederiksen Court residents participated in the Student Government election with 40 choosing a candidate for Senate. Caden Sporleder was the only candidate and was elected with three votes, with the remaining votes going to write-in candidates.

Student Government is a student organization that exists to serve and represent all students, according to the student organization database. They annually distribute $2.6 million in student fee revenue to organizations on campus and in Story County.

The Student Government elections will take place March 5–6, and ballots will be emailed to students’ Iowa State email addresses.

The following interview with Vierregger was conducted by email.

What are your qualifications for being a Senator?

“I am currently one of the IRHA senators, so I already have experience with Residency Representation and the issues surrounding campus life.”

What are the most significant issues facing your constituents, and how will you address them?

“I feel like the most significant issues that are facing my constituents are the lack of transportation offered by the university on weekends at Frederiksen Court, a lack of publicity concerning Student Government actions as well and more food options open later for students. I hope to address these issues by working toward the actions of Student Government as a whole being more transparent as well as finding ways to help students know where they can find current resources. I am currently working with the current Frederiksen Court Senator to get an idea of what concerns the current residents and ensure progress is not lost in the transition of power.”

Why should students vote for you?

“Students should vote for me because I am very goal-oriented and am very interested in making an impact here at Iowa State. I have also seen as a student here at Iowa State that a lack of communication can lead to confusion, inaccessibility and lack of awareness among students, organizations and the campus as a whole, and I wish to change that.”

Why do you want to return to Student Government, and what are you most proud of during your time in Student Government?

“I want to return to Student Government because in the short time I have been part of the program, I have not only seen the change that has been made but all the change that can be initiated. Unfortunately, due to my short time here in Student Government, I have not been able to be part of the projects enacted by the other senators, but I hope by continuing to be part of Student Government I get the opportunity to initiate something that I am proud of.”