Meet the six candidates running for 11 UROC seats in StuGov

Self provided photos of Kolton Eisma (top left), Jonathon Te Slaa (top middle), Arjun Patel (top right), Alexandra Momaney (bottom left), Ethan Rollinger (bottom middle) and Asray Gopa (bottom right).

Editor’s note: Josephine Kelly emailed the Daily and said she wishes to withdraw her candidacy. However, Kelly is still listed on the Student Government website as a UROC candidate and may appear on the ballot.

The United Residents of Off-Campus (UROC) has six candidates running for 11 seats within the Student Government Senate.

The candidates for this year’s election are:

• Sen. Kolton Eisma, a junior in agricultural studies 
  • Sen. Asray Gopa, a sophomore in computer science
  • Sen. Alexandra Momaney, a junior in global resource systems
  • Arjun Patel, a sophomore in computer science
  • Ethan Rollinger, a junior in agricultural studies
  • Jonathon Te Slaa, a senior in agricultural studies

In 2023, 997 UROC students participated in the Student Government election, electing six candidates by way of write-in, four balloted candidates and a fifth balloted candidate was declared ineligible. 

Student Government is a student organization that exists to serve and represent all students, according to the student organization database. They annually distribute $2.6 million in student fee revenue to organizations on campus and in Story County. 

The Student Government elections will take place Tuesday and Wednesday, and ballots will be emailed to students’ Iowa State email addresses.

The following interviews with the candidates were conducted by email:

What are your qualifications for being a Senator?

Eisma: “My qualifications for returning to the Senate include my time on the Finance Committee. I have now seen multiple years of bills from the same organizations where I can give a unique insight into previous years’ decisions and how we have handled any precedents in the past.”

Gopa: “My qualifications for being a Senator stem from my extensive experience serving on the Student Government for approximately two years, which has constituted a significant portion of my college tenure. This involvement has provided me with an intimate understanding of the dynamics and culture within Student Government. I am deeply committed to advancing ongoing projects and initiatives while also striving for continuous improvement within the Student Government, particularly in terms of better prioritizing and addressing the needs of our student body.”

Momaney: “I currently represent the United Residents Off-Campus (U.R.O.C.) and have been for the past two years.”

“I look forward to an opportunity to continue representing the many students living off campus.”

Patel: “In high school, I was the leader of 2 clubs.”

Rollinger: “I believe I am qualified to be a Senator due to past leadership roles. While in high school, I was a student officer for student government throughout my 4 years, while being the president my senior year. On top of this, I have had experience with proper parliament and have competed in competitions dealing with parliamentary procedure, which is beneficial when it comes to student senate meetings.”

Te Slaa: “As a student government senator, qualifications should include a combination of leadership skills, a commitment to serving your fellow students, and a genuine interest in improving campus life.”

What are the most significant issues facing your constituents, and how will you address them?

Eisma: “The primary challenge faced by the United Residents of Off-Campus (UROC) constituency council is raising awareness and ensuring all senate seats are filled. We’ve been actively working to increase our visibility on campus to address this; a recent initiative included participating in the Housing Fair at the Mu, marking our first booth presence in years. This effort aimed to promote UROC and the Student Government more broadly.”

Gopa: “The most significant issues facing my constituents include: Lack of information about Student Government resources: I plan to address this by setting up a comprehensive website that consolidates all resources in one easily accessible location. Lack of representation in university committees: I am committed to ensuring representation by striving to have a representative from UROC on every committee. Additionally, I will actively engage with the UROC council and collaborate with the current administration to enhance support for off-campus students. I aspire for my constituents to feel thoroughly represented when I am seated, knowing that their voices are not just heard but genuinely listened to. My aim is to ensure that they sense their concerns are valued and addressed.”

Momaney: “There are many diverse ideas and perspectives, and as the largest constituency, I strive to do my best to express the many ideas and issues that face my constituents. This could include access to on-campus commodities or general navigation as a student who may live further away. I will listen to everyone’s concerns and make them my own on the floor to ensure everyone’s voices can be heard.”

Patel: “There are too few buses on late night cyride.”

Rollinger: “Off-campus students are facing many different challenges ranging from finding roommates in off campus residencies to bus route struggles.”

Te Slaa: Academic Challenges: “Students may struggle with coursework, academic stress, or difficulty accessing resources like tutoring or academic advising. Mental Health and Well-being: Mental health concerns such as anxiety, depression, or stress are prevalent among students, often exacerbated by academic pressures and personal challenges. Financial Strain: Many students face financial difficulties, including tuition costs, textbook expenses, and the overall cost of living. This can impact their ability to focus on their studies and participate fully in campus life. Diversity and Inclusion: Issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion are significant on college campuses. Students may face discrimination, lack of representation, or barriers to participation based on their identities. Student Safety: Ensuring a safe campus environment is crucial. This includes addressing issues such as sexual assault, campus security, and emergency preparedness.”

Why should students vote for you?

Eisma: “Being amongst the more senior members of student government now, as this is my 3rd Student Government Election process, I have become experienced in Roberts Rules, delegation & deliberation of bills that come to the Senate floor, and most importantly, my tenure part of the Finance Committee where I have held my entire duration apart of this organization.”

Gopa: “Students should vote for me because of my prior experience on StuGov, where I have actively engaged in meaningful projects. I am deeply invested in ensuring responsible allocation of the $49 Student Activity Fee.”

Momaney: “I have been a senator since the spring of 2022 and have enjoyed my time and connections with other leaders and my constituents. I have been a part of various committees, helping in their focus areas, such as Health and wellness, I.D.E.A., and Rules. These have helped me lead in some of my areas of passion, including mental health, diversity, and inclusion.”

Patel: “Why not.”

Rollinger: ‘I believe students should vote for me for a Senate Seat because I am hardworking and diligent, and I would be the voice for the people living off campus, fighting for what they want in order to ensure the best experience for them at Iowa State University.”

Te Slaa: “Students should vote for me if they want a person who can relay information from the student body to student government. I will speak for the students and their needs.”

Why do you want to join Student Government?

Patel: “I thought it would be fun.”

Rollinger: “I want to be the voice for these students and help them be heard to have these challenges erased.”

Te Slaa: “I would like to join student government to keep diversity and varying opinions in student government. It is important to have multiple views and opinions in major decisions made in student government, and I feel I can provide that with opinions geared towards student needs.”

Why do you want to return to Student Government and what are you most proud of during your time in Student Government?

Eisma: “I wish to return to the Senate as I have dedicated much time to this organization. I would like to see it through my Senior year and ensure that the aspirations of the previous senior senators before me are laid out and that the Senate is a well-oiled machine welcoming and friendly to all who see it as a mysterious entity.”

Gopa: “One accomplishment that stands out to me is successfully lobbying for the official recognition of Indigenous People within the Student Government and advocating for the university’s recognition of their importance. This achievement represents a significant step towards inclusivity and acknowledgment of marginalized communities within our institution.”

Momaney: “I have had a wonderful experience and find joy in being able to help the many students across our expansive campus have their voices heard. A vote for me ensures the voices of every off-campus student have a voice on the Senate floor!”