StuGov approves Ramadan accommodations following amendments to include all religions

Kieran+Trotter+a+senator+in+Student+Government+on+March+4%2C+2024%2C+in+MU.+
Katarina Kotek
Kieran Trotter a senator in Student Government on March 4, 2024, in MU.

Editor’s note: The vote totals for the bills are different because some senators left during the meeting.

Student Government passed two bills accommodating Muslim students during the season of Ramadan after the approval of amendments which included all religious and spiritual needs in the bills during the Senate meeting Wednesday.

“As representatives of our constituents, we should be aware that everybody does have different religious or spiritual beliefs and needs and that it’s not necessarily a problem to pass resolutions recognizing those, it doesn’t necessarily exclude them. We’re not setting a precedent that one is more important than the other,” Sen. Alexandra Momaney, a junior in global resource systems, said.

The two bills were both sponsored by Sen. Azhan Suddle, a graduate student in chemistry, and sparked heavy debate regarding favoring a specific religion.

The first bill, titled a “Resolution for the Establishment of a Dedicated Prayer Space for Muslim Students Association and Religious Organizations at Parks Library,” sets aside the Mindfulness Room within the library as a dedicated place for practicing Muslim students to pray without going to a mosque.

Suddle said while Muslim students were already using the Mindfulness Room to pray, they were continually interrupted because of its communal nature. To mitigate this the Mindfulness Room would be specifically reserved for prayer during set hours while Ramadan is being celebrated.

Senators agreed that accommodations needed to be made, but concerns were raised about supporting only one religion.

“Personally, I’m just kind of concerned about the legality of it. We are a federally funded institution […] and I don’t know if we’re allowed to dedicate an area to any religious organization, especially not a library of all places,” Sen. Kieran Trotter, a freshman in history, said.

Suddle said library staff told him that the bill would not be a legal matter because the room would only be reserved at specific times, like reserving a study room for a study group. An amendment was passed with unanimous consent to include any, “religious, meditation, reflection, and spiritual needs,” not just Muslims. After the changes, the bill was passed 13-2-3.

The second bill regarded enhancing dietary inclusivity by expanding halal protein options during Ramadan.

While dining times have already been altered to hours before sunrise and after sunset in accordance with the practices of Ramadan, which specify observers are not supposed to eat while the sun is out, the bill specifically advocates for more protein-rich halal food such as chicken that sustains energy for longer to be served during the altered dining times.

Trotter said it will “get a little bit silly” legislating “bill after bill after bill” for “specific religious accommodations.”

“If we continue with this certain line of thought then inevitably the Catholics will come here demanding fish for Lent, which is not currently served, and similarly the Jews will come to us demanding certain types of bread for Passover, and such, which are currently not being observed,” Trotter said.

In response to this Sen. Sydney Jones, a junior in political science, stated that the only religion that is included in ISU Dining’s website is Islam but Sen. Jian Janes, a senior in management information systems, said that certain dining halls make special requests for students.

With an amendment to urge ISU Dining to look into dietary needs for other “religious, spiritual and agnostic” needs the bill was passed on a vote of 14-0-1.

Orders of Business

Under a five-year contract that the Iowa State Daily signed with the Student Government last year, the Editor-in-Chief Andrew Harrington, a senior in journalism and mass communication, presented the state of the publication to the Senate.

“This funding has really allowed us to do what we do so I can’t thank you guys enough,” Harrington said. “Your commitment ensures unbiased historical records are kept, campus news is covered, achievements are celebrated, a third party is watching out and students have a voice.”

During the presentation, Harrington emphasized the need for Student Government funding to support the 135 employed student journalists that span all seven colleges within Iowa State.

Questions were raised about student money going toward paying the Daily advisor, but was clarified that other Iowa State student organizations pay advisors through Student Government funding as well.

The Daily said they plan to keep their promise of abiding by a “student-centered model” and had 2.7 million page views in the past year.

The following were approved without opposition:

• Funding Block and Bridle attendance for the National Convention
  • Funding Iranian Students and Scholars Association’s New Year Celebration