Good Cop/Bad Cop: Houston

Tyler Coe
T.J. Otzelberger calls out a play at the men’s basketball Big 12 tournament semifinal game against Baylor, T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, March 15, 2024.

Good Cop: Pavle Markovic

The top two teams in the conference go at it in a battle of the gladiators, as Iowa State and Houston play for the Big 12 title Saturday night.

Both teams have proved themselves as not only the top teams of the conference but two of the best teams in the nation, as the Cyclones and Cougars look to solidify the conference title while also solidifying seeding for March Madness.

Houston currently holds the top seed in the conference and the nation, as the Cougars have been steamrolling teams with its suffocating defense and high offensive playmaking abilities.

However, Iowa State has had the pleasure of taking Houston on twice this season, and have gotten the feel of how the Cougars like to run their game. Then again, that does give Houston the same analysis on Iowa State with a split from the season series in two games.

The key to the Cyclones’ success Saturday night will once again come from how they establish their offensive game that goes along with their sound defensive scheme. Iowa State has not found trouble getting the offense going in its past two wins against Kansas State and Baylor, but going against Houston will make it much more difficult than before.

I expect this game to once again be a defensive battle that has the Cyclones coming out on top as the Big 12 Tournament champions for the first time since 2019.

No. 2 Iowa State 64, No. 1 Houston 61

Bad Cop: Brett Twelmeyer

It all comes down to this. The Big 12 Championship is between Houston and Iowa State.

Houston comes into the title game ranked not only first in the Big 12 but nationally as well. Iowa State is still a top-10 team, and rightfully deserved, but Houston is on another level.

Everyone knows this game will be a tough, physical, defensive battle, especially since these are the first and second-ranked defenses in the country. Ultimately, it will come down to who can score points, and the Cyclones have had big problems recently on that side of the ball.

Iowa State and Houston split the regular season series, each able to win at home. Now at a neutral site, this will truly be the final say in who the better team is with a trophy on the line.

At this point, the Cyclones are in a good position for a two-seed in the NCAA Tournament, regardless of if they win this game or not. Playing the Cougars to the best of their ability may not be the best idea either if the Cyclones want to stay fresh and try and make a run in the big dance.

Houston has not lost since Feb. 3 on the road against Kansas. This team is as red-hot as it gets with 10 wins in a row entering Saturday’s championship.

I do not think the Cyclones need to win in terms of seeding, nor do I think they will win this game. Houston is the better team and will prove it by beating Iowa State and taking the Big 12 Championship in its first season in the league.

No. 1 Houston 65, No. 2 Iowa State 59