Ames to host its first renaissance faire

Charlie Coffey

Calling all dukes and duchesses – Ames is set to host its first-ever renaissance faire from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 13, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. April 14. The two-day event will feature medieval entertainment, classic renaissance cuisine and a variety of different vendors.

For those unfamiliar, “a renaissance faire is basically a comic con, farmers market and fair into one thing, but more on the medieval renaissance side like kings, queens, knights and jesters. At the faire you can find shops, entertainment, food, drinks and more,” said Kaley McCombs, the event organizer.

The idea of a renaissance faire came to fruition through one of the event’s organizers, who was involved with the Ames Haunted Forest. The idea was brought to the table of hosting a renaissance faire at the same location. The owner of the property was enticed by the idea and was able to get the project in motion. The faire’s grounds will be located at 1400 S 4th St. in Ames.

“You don’t need to be a history nerd to attend a renaissance faire. It’s a fun activity, something you can do with your friends in the spring and just walk around,” McCombs said.

Ames’ first annual renaissance event will feature a variety of entertainment acts, including medieval music performers, fire breathing, sword-swallowing, comedy and combat demonstrations. Each day will showcase 15 30-minute performances on two stages, beginning at 10:30 a.m. and concluding at 5:30 p.m on April 13 and 6:30 p.m. on April 14. The faire will also have a separate area for encampment sword fighting shows. Each performance will have seating, as well as a designated section to sit and eat.

“It’s a fun atmosphere and experience, come enjoy something new and see some super cool fire performers and shops and artwork and woodwork, Viking work, DnD material and much more,” McCombs said.

Several food options will be available during the event including The Mucky Duck Pub, Montana Mike’s and Reese’s Roadside Eats & Treats. Alcohol will be available for purchase inside the event, however, bringing outside beverages is prohibited.

In addition to the wide array of food options, 27 vendors will be in attendance at the event. Vendors include Freedom’s Ridge Trading Post, Nature’s Oddities and the Traveling Renaissance Faire Podcast.

“It’s a new event we’re bringing to the community which is something everyone can enjoy,” McCombs said. “We’ve put a lot of work into it and hope to see everyone there. I encourage everyone to buy tickets ahead of time for easier entrance.” 

Tickets are now available for presale on the Ames Renaissance Faire ticket website for $20 and will be available for purchase until April 12. Tickets can also be purchased at the entrance on the day of the event for $25. Children five and under are admitted for free.

For further information or questions about the event, contact The Ames Renaissance Faire at [email protected] or by calling (515) 943-0823.