Nyamer Diew, Jalynn Bristow enter transfer portal

Elizabeth Lane
Nyamer Diew and Shantavia Dawkins embrace after winning the ISU vs KSU basketball game at Hilton Coliseum, Feb. 14, 2024

Less than a week removed from Iowa State’s crushing 87-81 loss to Stanford, the offseason got off to a quick start for the Cyclones looking to improve its roster for the 2024-25 season.

Unfortunately for Iowa State, they will be doing it with two fewer players, as forwards Nyamer Diew and Jalynn Bristow have decided to enter their names into the transfer portal.

For Diew, this comes as a bit of a surprise to some, as her name was honored as one of the two seniors recognized on senior night and she was expected to be playing in her last season as a college basketball player.

Nevertheless, Diew is now seeking other opportunities outside of Ames, Iowa, as she looks to play for her third team to officially cap off her college basketball career.

The Butler transfer played an integral role in Iowa State’s success in her three seasons with the Cyclones, as her veteran presence helped lead the 2023-24 team to a Big 12 championship game appearance along with a round-of-32 appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Diew was also a part of Iowa State’s Big 12 championship win back in the 2022-23 season, as she and guard Emily Ryan were the two focal players from the championship-winning roster heading into this past season.

Diew fluctuated her times from being in and out of the starting lineup this past season, as she started 19 out of the 30 games played this season. In those 30 games played, Diew averaged 5.9 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 23.1 minutes per game.

With this past season accounted for, Diew finished her three-year career with the Cyclones averaging 5.8 points, 3.4 rebounds and 0.7 assists in 21 minutes per game.

Bristow struggled to find her way into the starting lineup this past season, as she got two starts out of the 33 games played this season.

Through her time coming off the bench for the majority of the season, Bristow averaged 5.1 points, 3.7 rebounds and 0.7 assists in 15.2 minutes per game.

Bristow also was coming off of her highest amount of minutes played in her freshman campaign, as she played 27 minutes in the Cyclones’ loss to Stanford on Sunday night. Her career high in points came in Iowa State’s win over Troy in December, where she put up 17 points in 17 minutes.

Diew and Bristow’s announcements make them the second and third players to enter the transfer portal in the span of 24 hours for the Cyclones, as guard Shantavia Dawkins entered the portal Wednesday.

Their announcements also leave a gaping hole in the forward group for Iowa State, as the Cyclones currently have two forwards, Addy Brown and Alisa Williams, listed on the roster.