Arab Month, Arabic culture celebrated at Arab Night 2024

Katarina Kotek
Students posing for a photo at Arab night in the Student Innovation Center, on April 11, 2024.

The Arabic Program held Arab Night from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Student Innovation Center. The event was held in collaboration with the Arab Student Association and the Middle Eastern Studies program and was sponsored by the department of world language and cultures.

The event featured an exhibit of traditional Arabic dress, tools and art. The event was free to attend, and the program provided Baklava and traditional cookies along with various types of teas.

Guests had the opportunity to receive free henna tattoos, participate in Bazaar sampling and hands-on crafts, have their name written in Arabic calligraphy and join in a scavenger hunt and raffle.

“I’m really impressed by how many people there are here,” said Salma Hassan, a graduate of Iowa State. “The planning is amazing. All of the things on the scavenger hunt are very fruitful but also very fun and exciting.”

The Arabic program also had a master of ceremonies, Ghinwa Alameen, coordinator of the Arabic program, who paused the event periodically to announce raffle winners and share facts about Arab countries with the audience.

“I just saw on the steps as you walk in, there’s a lot of cool things [to look at],” said Cole Hansen, a freshman studying performing arts. “It’s cool to see all of the art and items they have on display.”

Students looking at authentic Arabian food at Arab night in the Student Innovation Center, on April 11 (Katarina Kotek )

April was declared National Arab Month in 2022, which inspired the event to be held this month. There are 22 Arab countries in both Asia and North Africa, creating a diverse cultural experience for all who attend the event.

“[I came] partly to support my friends,” said Zoe Dekruif, a senior studying linguistics. “I’m just excited to be here and get to experience it. I know my friend had asked if I wanted to go to experience and share her culture and her history.”

At the event, the Middle Eastern Studies program held a promotional booth as well as a booth promoting learning to speak Arabic, held through Iowa State’s language program.

For more information on the Arabic program and the Arab Student Association, go to the Arabic program website and follow the ASA’s Instagram page.