Iowa State University Museums receives national reaccreditation

Jacob Barker
The Christian Petersen Art Museum’s date night will feature an exhibit titled “Double Take: Insights on Figural Expression.”

Iowa State University Museums received a national honor of reaccreditation by the American Alliance of Museums (AAM), announced April 2 on the AAM website.

Lynette Pohlman, director and chief curator of University Museums, expressed her team’s pride in receiving the honor in a press release Thursday. 

“The University Museums staff is proud to have achieved and retained national museum accreditation for over 40 years, serving Iowa State students by integrating art into the curriculum, architecture and landscape of Iowa State University,” Pohlman stated.

The accreditation process occurs every ten years, where every museum has to be “extensively” reviewed. According to the press release, University Museums have maintained accreditation status for over 40 years. 

Less than 4% of the nation’s museums are currently awarded national accreditation status, while 16% of the nation’s university museums received that status, according to the American Alliance of Museums.

Brunnier Art Gallery, now Brunnier Art Museum, originally opened in 1975, gaining accreditation in 1983. The Farm House Museum, located north of Ross Hall, was established as a museum in 1976. The Christian Petersen Art Museum opened in 2007. Most recently, the Anderson Sculpture Garden opened in the latter half of 2008.

“University Museums exemplifies a thriving museum system with a dedicated and competent staff,” Marise McDermott, chair of the AAM Accreditation Commission, stated.

“We commend the organization’s meaningful engagement with the community for how thoroughly its collections, exhibits and programs are woven into the culture of Iowa State University,” McDermott said. “The Strategic Plan is also a model, it is exceptionally well-organized, combining innovation with sustainability.” 

The accreditation means that a museum received national recognition for its commitment to excellence, accountability, high professional standards and continued institutional improvement, according to University Museums.

“University Museums and its unparalleled collection of public artwork on campus are a perennial point of pride for Iowa State University,” President Wendy Wintersteen stated in the press release. “Thanks to the leadership of Lynette Pohlman and her team, the renewal of accreditation is an important step that reaffirms University Museums’ national reputation for sustained excellence, including its valuable contributions to our educational mission.”

The reaccreditation coincides with the University Museums’ 18-month celebration of their 50 anniversary.