Ivy College of Business networking event kicks off career fair

The Ivy College of Business Career Fair Breakfast is an annual networking event that is held before the Business, Industry and Technology Career.

Kirstie Martin

The top three qualities that International Paper employees Jean Kok and Kristin Berte searched for at the Ivy College of Business Career Fair Breakfast included leadership, on-campus involvement and willingness to learn.

Kok and Berte are just two of many Iowa State alumni that are back at their alma mater this week searching for summer interns for their companies.

The Ivy College of Business Career Fair Breakfast is one of the multiple networking events held for business students around the career fair.

The event took place before the Business, Industry and Technology Career Fair in the Sukup End Zone Club.

Divided by major, students and employees had the chance to socialize in a relaxed environment. The event offered a buffet-style breakfast for attendees.

Carmen Frederick, a senior in marketing, attended the career fair breakfast for the fourth year in a row. Frederick said that she is always excited for the career fair breakfast.

“The career fair breakfast presents a casual environment, and isn’t as intimidating as the career fair,” Frederick said. “I don’t have to use my elevator speech with every person I meet here.”

Tanya Austin, Ivy College of Business management and entrepreneurship career coordinator, said the career fair breakfast is, “a great opportunity to network with employers, get inspired by the keynote speaker and sets the tone for the rest of the day.”

The college selected Michelle Book, president and CEO at the Iowa Food Bank, as the keynote speaker this year.

After the breakfast, many of the employers and students headed to the career fair. While the Ivy College of Business Career Fair Breakfast is a great networking opportunity, the career fair is where most internships are filled.

Kayley Larson and Alexa Cross of Kohl’s said the best thing a student can do is to research companies beforehand, to show they are truly interested.

Cross said that students should remember that companies want to recruit Iowa State students.

“Iowa State students tend to be well-rounded, hardworking, genuine people,” Cross said. “The programs here are strong in all departments.”

Karen Valde of Hormel Foods, and 2016 Iowa State graduate, shares her best advice for students on career fair day, “Be open, and willing to try new things.”