StuGov to discuss new senators, Election Commission member, additional funding

Student Government senate meetings take place every Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Madelyn Ostendorf

At Wednesday’s meeting, Student Government will be confirming a new member to the Election Commission, seating two new senators and fielding additional funding requests.

The Senate will also vote to approve funding legislation for $720 to the Golf Club for NCCGA registration fees and $73.75 to the “I Am a Voter” campaign.

The Golf Club typically attends two regionals per year, but this summer the club was invited to an additional regional in the Twin Cities. This funding would cover registration fees for the third regional competition.

The “I Am a Voter” campaign is a movement encouraging students to get registered to vote.  They are promoting early voting locations on campus, and are seeking funding to aid the production and distribution of posters to the flyer boards found on campus and in on-campus residences.

Also on the agenda is the seating of Vishesh Bhatia as a Senate member on the University Affairs Committee and Yean Xen Lim, as a member of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee. The Senate is also set to confirm Reya Mathew as the 2019 Election Commissioner.

For more information or to contact a senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The Senate meetings are open to the public on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.