Commencement sends off nearly 2,000 new alumni

courtesy of Max Goldberg

Iowa State Graduate Emily Blobaum receives her diploma May 5 in Hilton Coliseum. 

Emily Berch

Ten minutes before the start of the second undergraduate commencement ceremony at Iowa State, the lights dimmed in a nearly full Hilton Coliseum.

A video began to play, showing soon-to-be graduates reflecting on their time at Iowa State, thanking their friends and family, and discussing what the next step in their adventure will be.

Not only were the seats for the audience filling quickly, seating for the students was expanded from the usual row of folding chairs on the floor up into the crowd seating to accommodate the group of over 2,000 students from the colleges of Design, Human Sciences and Engineering.

Once the video ended, the degree candidates began marching in, led by the student marshals for their respective colleges. After they had all taken their seats, the Iowa and United States flags had been presented and the national anthem had been sung, Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen gave a speech emphasizing the values of perseverance, seizing opportunities and being your best self.

The second speaker was Jon Kinzenbaw, who received an honorary Doctorate of Science degree for his innovation and leadership in the agricultural technology sector.

Kinzenbaw, founder, CEO and chairman of the board of Kinze Manufacturing, spoke on the importance of self-discipline and financial responsibility.

“We feel that the programs offered here are some of the best in the nation, so we are very pleased to be hiring Iowa State people,” Kinzenbaw said.

Next, Provost Jonathan Wickert recognized students graduating with distinction, students graduating from the honors program, and students and audience members who have served, are serving, or will be serving in the military.

President Wintersteen took the stage once again and cheers erupted as she spoke.

“As is tradition, I now ask all undergraduate degree recipients to move their tassels from the right side to the left side of their caps,” Wintersteen said.

Then the conferring of the degrees began.

Once all degrees had been handed out, Jeffery Johnson briefly spoke about the alumni association and urged students to stay connected to the university and their fellow alumni.

The ceremony ended with the traditional singing of “The Bells of Iowa State,” and students were sent off with a rendition of “Sweet Caroline” by the Iowa State Brass Band.

The new alumni went searching for their loved ones in the crowd, showing a wide range of emotions.

Khrystyne Elsberry, a graduate in education, was among the crowd.

“After graduating I feel ready to go into my next classroom and call it mine,” Elsberry said.

Suraj Desai, a graduate in industrial engineering, reflected on his time spent as a student.

“My time at Iowa State was very fun. Obviously from freshman year you go through so many changes, and now it feels like your back at square one again,” Desai said.

Lindsey Griswold, a graduate in nutritional science, described the entire experience as “surreal.”

Three hours after commencement began, the crowd had dispersed, and Iowa State University had officially released over two thousand new alumni into the world.